Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Atv's closed beginning of the end

Re: Atv's closed beginning of the end

You can’t adequately enforce restrictions with that many access points..they would have closers on a hundred or more rds...go have a look on google earth and ask yourself how you could enforce those restrictions..how you could have proper signage..how to stop private access ect ect..it sucks. But the rational is reasonable.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

The true issue is the ban is on ATVs for hunting only But they claim it is to help habitat recover from fire. I am not buying this because would it not be wise to ban overall ATV use in the area if the goal was to help habitat recover?

Personally see this as an attack on hunters under a false reason

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    The true issue is the ban is on ATVs for hunting only But they claim it is to help habitat recover from fire. I am not buying this because would it not be wise to ban overall ATV use in the area if the goal was to help habitat recover?

Personally see this as an attack on hunters under a false reason
    The issue is the ban is too narrow in its focus. It concentrates only on ATV mounted hunters and the impact they represent; not the rest of the impact the recreational atv's themselves represent. The improved sightlines provide hunters with an unprecedented advantage, and therefore the potential to overharvest recovering game populations. That in itself, combined with hundreds of miles of vehicular access, is a genuine reason to restrict ATV equipped hunters.

The increased potential for habitat damage is an other seperate issue. Some have probably already argued that if everybody sticks to the current ORV regulations, there won't be a problem in that regard. However, as has been comprehensively discussed already, ORV's are inadequately regulated as it is, and enforcement is wanting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    The issue is the ban is too narrow in its focus. It concentrates only on ATV mounted hunters and the impact they represent; not the rest of the impact the recreational atv's themselves represent. The improved sightlines provide hunters with an unprecedented advantage, and therefore the potential to overharvest recovering game populations. That in itself, combined with hundreds of miles of vehicular access, is a genuine reason to restrict ATV equipped hunters.

The increased potential for habitat damage is an other seperate issue. Some have probably already argued that if everybody sticks to the current ORV regulations, there won't be a problem in that regard. However, as has been comprehensively discussed already, ORV's are inadequately regulated as it is, and enforcement is wanting.
    With the issue being habitat why only target hunters on ATVs? Like you said should be all ATVs

Now I assume those who created this ban are of at least moderate intelligence so they realize that this ban is only impacting a small portion of ATV use in the area

So I would say the reasons given for the ban make a man ? true motivation for a hunter only ATV ban. If it was an all out ATV I could respect the reasons given but as it stands I smell BS

I see it here every fall..nearly zero activity on Rds.. dangerous cause the grass gets so high...and then comes hunting season..and it looks like a military operation...don't kid yourselves hunters are primarily Users of backcountry except in tourist areas.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    I see it here every fall..nearly zero activity on Rds.. dangerous cause the grass gets so high...and then comes hunting season..and it looks like a military operation...don't kid yourselves hunters are primarily Users of backcountry except in tourist areas.
    You know the area better then I do so not going to doubt you

In my area recreational ATV use out ways hunting by a long shot is where my opinion comes from

All we can do with atv's now is go where we can and stay off where we can't. Obey the Ministry 100% under the Provincial Hunting Regulations.
    Jelly Vis -- MU 3-28 for example is a no no now! for any atv -- check the Provincial Regs ---- this MU 3-28 is being patrolled already by some local hunters -- -

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post

It doesn't make much sense to ban atv/sxs use while allowing Jeeps and other 4x4 vehicles to travel the same roads and trails unrestricted. Or does it? I've often wondered while hunting on foot because using my atv is restricted, and trucks and cars and jeeps etc are passing me on the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    All we can do with atv's now is go where we can and stay off where we can't. Obey the Ministry 100% under the Provincial Hunting Regulations.
    Jelly Vis -- MU 3-28 for example is a no no now! for any atv -- check the Provincial Regs ---- this MU 3-28 is being patrolled already by some local hunters -- -
    So you saying you cannot NOT operate a atv at ALL in 3-28 now ? RJ

Sept 1 on til end of season apparently during hunting season no go in any way, using for hunting, it's in the regs already a guy put it on,
    It's on HBC already under new regs are out 18 to 20 and says it, no nuttin A tall
    In Mu 3-28
    Jel -- I read it, I thought it was a great decision by the Ministry again to actually protect the Skull Mt Herd -- it had it's own fire --