Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    It all starts with addressing the proposal itself in the area noted in the first link.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/forms/s...ahier-eng.aspx

Damn good idea to inform them how few (if any) killer whales you have seen out there in your thousands upon thousands of trips to these locations.

Comment Deadline July 11...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Ok sounds good...

I spent a good deal of time out there shrimp and salmon fishing and we almost never saw orcas on La Perouse. Mostly they kept to Juan de Fuca strait.
    Your account has been banned permanently. Reason: Your account has been blocked due to comments that could be construed as hate speech. For more information, please visit: http://cbc.ca/submissions.

Arrow Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

This closure would devastate the coastal communities of Port Renfrew, Bamfield, Port Alberni, Ucluelet and Tofino and every recreational and commercial fisherman who earns their livelihood or enjoys their recreational pastime in what is considered one of the greatest accessible salmon and halibut fishing grounds in North America.

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion...ing-1.23358161

Yep...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

i am puzzled 3 weeks ago they gave the commercial fishery a 3 day opening.And yesterday announce a closure because they do not have their escapement. That seems to me to be ass backwards. I am sure no fisherman would mind them keeping the season closed. Until they have the pieces they require to sustain the species. Its for sure that we have wrong persons doing the management studies. But i am pretty sure they have made a few enemies with the decisions they have just made. ei, every sport fisherman and first nations fisherman that have purchased a boat and equipment to do their job or just for sport. As well as as others that sell the goods and boats, gasoline.That are required I am sure there is a better way handle this resource I am sorry for the rant but truly despise stupid

Thumbs up Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

Quote Originally Posted by boblly1 View Post
    ...That are required I am sure there is a better way handle this resource I am sorry for the rant but truly despise stupid
    You are FAR from alone in that mindset!!

Deadline for comments is getting closer folks!

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Exclamation Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

This is what we are up against:

No Images? Click here

Say Yes to Additional Critical Habitat!
    DEADLINE: JULY 11th, 2018

Dear xxxx,

The endangered Southern Resident killer whale population is now down to just 75 individuals. Threats to their survival include:

• A lack of abundant Chinook salmon
    • toxic contamination
    • vessel noise and disturbance

With your support, GSA and our allies have been working hard to hold the federal government accountable to their responsibility to protect this iconic species and we are finally starting to see them taking actions to address the threats that face this population. Our work is not done however -we need to keep pushing for more effective, enforceable and immediate measures if the Southern Residents are to have a fighting chance at survival.
    Fisheries and Oceans Canada is conducting an external review of the critical habitat section of the Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident killer whales. This review is open to public comment until July 11th and you can show your support for designating additional areas as critical habitat for both the Northern and Southern Resident killer whales!

Proposed additional critical habitat off southwestern Vancouver Island includes the Canadian portions of Swiftsure Bank and other shallow banks including La Pérouse Bank, where studies show that these areas are frequently used by both Northern and Southern Resident orca populations in all months of the year. Maps of the areas can be found on pages 60 & 61 of the Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada. DFO has stated that this area is known to be among the most productive fishing areas for Chinook salmon on the west coast of North America. Chinook salmon comprise up to 90% of the Resident killer whale diet.

The number of endangered Southern Resident killer whales is at a 30-year low. The recent loss of Crewser (L-92) from the Southern Resident population speaks to the urgency of the situation the killer whales are in.Tell the government that you want to see more critical habitat protected for both Northern and Southern resident killer whales— and why — by filling out the “additional feedback” section of this online consultation form.
    Read the full External review of the critical habitat section of the draft Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada: Discussion guide

Making waves for change,
    Rachael Merrett
    Species Protection Coordinator

Join the Orca Action Team to stay informed about our work and how you can help!

Check out all of our orca facts and photos from Orca Month on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Southern Resident orcas are facing extinction - please help GSA push for action from DFO before it's too late

Georgia Strait Alliance
    201-195 Commercial St. Nanaimo
    V9R 5G5, Canada
    www.GeorgiaStrait.org

.................................................. ..............

These folks are Organized, make unfounded claims in just the right way to pluck on their sheeple's heart-strings, and make it damn easy for them to sway to consultations to their side.

We REALLY could learn a thing or two here...

Comment Deadline is approaching fast now folks.
    PLEASE ensure we have a chance at countering this nonsense!!

Thanks!
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 07-07-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Guess he got to Know me

Hi Matt, hows it going ? I filled out the DFO questionnaire ......just got my lot at salmon beach all set up again(havent been up for a few years)and now this news ! It just seems to never end anymore, makes me sick...between, grizzly bans, wolf infestations, apparent killer whale critical habitat areas popping up in areas where the're aren't even any killer whales....what next ! Used to be recreation, now it's just an ongoing struggle of disappointment...Im starting to lose hope

Last edited by Islander30; 07-07-2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

As long as decision making on wildlife and habitat is purely politically driven........nonsense will continue
    As things in North America keep sliding to extreme left ideologies.....common sense and wisdom goes out the window.
    Bowing to social idiocy is becoming the norm.
    With that wildlife will only suffer.

Crazy times folks.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Thumbs down Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has already forbidden fishing from June 1 to Sept. 30 between Otter Point in Sooke and Port Renfrew, as well as areas in the southern Gulf Islands, to assist southern resident killer whales. Also, the overall catch of chinook has been reduced 25 to 35 per cent.

First, ask the folks in Sooke and Renfrew just how their closures were implemented.
    EXACT same process as is being applied here.

Second, there is no way in hell those current closures will ever result in a "25 to 35 per cent" reduction in the recreational spring harvest.

Simply more smoke & mirrors from DFO...

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...res-1.23361351

Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Arrow Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

Quote Originally Posted by Islander30 View Post
    Hi Matt, hows it going ? I filled out the DFO questionnaire ......just got my lot at salmon beach all set up again(havent been up for a few years)and now this news ! It just seems to never end anymore, makes me sick...between, grizzly bans, wolf infestations, apparent killer whale critical habitat areas popping up in areas where the're aren't even any killer whales....what next ! Used to be recreation, now it's just an ongoing struggle of disappointment...Im starting to lose hope
    Going OK these days, managing to keep the keel even most days. Thanks for askin'...

I completely concur with your noted frustration.
    We are in a WAR that many on our side don't even recognize.
    Our enemies of course are counting on that, and the usual apathy that runs so strong among our side as well.
    They on the other hand are energized, focused, and carrying the day in many instances.
    We simply HAVE to wake up and start directly dealing with these matters, or the situation will most assuredly devolve into something much worse!

Don't lose hope Buddy!
    We do what we can to the best of our abilities, and try to keep the hope for a saner world alive!

“Here is a chart illustrating a proposed fin fish closure by DFO. Please take a moment and respond on the link below with your feedback,” writes Hicks in his post (see below). “I have expressed my opinion that our Southern Vancouver Island Coastal Communities, recreational fishers and commercial fishers will be devastated. Never thought I would see this day!”

https://sooke.pocketnews.ca/director...-for-feedback/

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me