Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

Hybrid View

Thumbs down DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

DFO is about to ram yet another series of closures for fishing through. Fin Fish Closures from Long Beach, South Bank, Big Bank, Rats Nose all the way to Swiftsure. This based upon both sketchy information, and in even larger areas, no information at all.

Time to tell DFO we won't sit idly by while they take the "don't confuse me with facts" approach and adopts "assumption based science" once again.

“B.C.’s tidal water recreational fishery, combined with the freshwater fishery, is the largest and most valuable in Canada, valued at $18 billion annually. DFO issues over 350,000 tidal licences per year collecting $7.3 million in fees and the fishery employs around 8,400 British Columbian’s (as of 2012).”

· Area SRKW Refuge Recreational Fin Fish Closures will cause significant socio-economic harm destroying jobs and economic spin off activities in small coastal communities like Ucluelet, Port Alberni, Bamfield, Port Renfrew, Sooke and Victoria.

· Killer whales are only very rarely present on LaPerouse Bank, and there is no documented evidence from passive acoustic monitoring to clearly demonstrate this is actually critical habitat. DFO science is making an assumption that because areas of LaPerouse Bank are important areas for commercial and recreational Chinook fishing that they area similarly important to killer whales.

· According to Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM), killer whales are only present on Swiftsure Bank 43% of monitored days between May to September – broad Area Refuge closures impact recreational fishing opportunity during significant periods where the whales are not present.

· There is no comparative analysis that demonstrates the effectiveness of Area Closure vs a mobile “bubble” strategy

· More effort is required to scientifically determine if indeed there is any less benefit to be achieved using a “bubble” strategy which is less impactful – striking a balance between protection and economic activity

External review of the critical habitat section of the draft Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consult...index-eng.html

Deadline for feedback is July 11.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

this is dumb everyone knows there is only coho left offshore ,whales won't eat them lol

What would be the main reason for closing swiftsure bank? Noise or to try and reduce numbers of chinook caught? I fish at swiftsure once or twice a summer on a charter. It's a pretty big area and boats are spread out more than many popular inshore areas so seems that noise should be less of an issue than other areas. There is a pretty steady stream of shipping traffic through there and seems to be getting more every year, are they going to shut that down too if it is causing noise. Also what is a bubble strategy? For example would this mean moving out of an area as soon as orcas are sighted?

Arrow Re: DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

This has absolutely ZERO to do with "conservation". Parks Canada has had this on their Agenda for years and now is in bed with DFO using improper science to push this forward. It is PURELY POLITICAL and will NOT result in any significant help to the whales in question. DFO's own biologists have pointed this out repeatedly. Their scientists are being purposely ignored by their Political Masters. PATHETIC!

There is no intent to limit shipping, simply a total finfish closure (No Fishing for all but one sector).

The Bubble strategy is to remain a minimum of 3-500 yards from any whales encountered. Something the whale watchers fought tooth & nail, and apparently they carry more sway with the politico's than fishing folks.

This is a completely draconian move by DFO to support Parks' vision of a large marine park that they control.

Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Total finfish closure is BS. Anchoring up for halibut is more disruptive to whales than shipping traffic or whale watching how? Just had a thought about the current closure between otter point and sooke... couple of beaches out there that I have fished for sea run cutthroats guess thats off limits too now! Oh well at least it will save the whales!

Quote Originally Posted by NChunter View Post
    Total finfish closure is BS. Anchoring up for halibut is more disruptive to whales than shipping traffic or whale watching how? Just had a thought about the current closure between otter point and sooke... couple of beaches out there that I have fished for sea run cutthroats guess thats off limits too now! Oh well at least it will save the whales!
    I hear ya. I mostly shore fish. I investigated an up island location with a fin fish closure, (to protect the salmon) and pretty much everyone I could get a hold of said SRC fishing was O.K. . . . .but no one was 100% on that. These closures shouldn't effect the lonely shore fisherman. Would it be so hard to write that in?

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    ... These closures shouldn't effect the lonely shore fisherman...
    FYI: These closures effect EVERYONE.
    Fin Fish Closure means just that.
    There are no exemptions (unless you belong to a certain privileged sector).

July 11 Comment Deadline...

Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    FYI: These closures effect EVERYONE.
    Fin Fish Closure means just that.
    There are no exemptions (unless you belong to a certain privileged sector).

July 11 Comment Deadline...

Nog
    Yeah, I know, but it seems ultra-dumb to kill it for the shore guys, who basically catches next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Yeah, I know, but it seems ultra-dumb to kill it for the shore guys, who basically catches next to nothing.
    Actually, the entire scenario is "ultra dumb" no matter how you want to look at it.
    Unless you happen to be Parks Canada, who I can guarantee are salivating HARD at the prospect.
    And maybe just a few of the beyond help DFO folks helping them realize their long held desires...

Pissed,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Fin Fish Closures from Long Beach, South Bank, Big Bank, Rats Nose all the way to Swiftsure.
    Is that closure include every body of are the selected race going to be allowed to fish?