Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: range finders for archery

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: range finders for archery

Quote Originally Posted by boblly1 View Post
    They have made those for years there called your eyes and your judgement. I hunted with a for a long time and never found a mechanical device that worked better than what God gave you. When your shot is from 15 to 40 yards in most cases from a blind. If you need range finders you should give up.
    It's quite a bit different hunting from a blind than when cruising through varied terrain. You have much more control
    of your environment from a blind. I've also hunted for many years with a bow, and for most shots rely on my judgement.
    But poor light, steep grades, and the 3D effects of surrounding timber can be very deceiving...that's where I would prefer to
    use a rangefinder rather then make a poor judgement shot resulting in the wounding of an animal.

Thumbs down Re: range finders for archery

They have made those for years there called your eyes and your judgement. I hunted with a for a long time and never found a mechanical device that worked better than what God gave you. When your shot is from 15 to 40 yards in most cases from a blind. If you need range finders you should give up.
    Really??
    Must be nice to have perfect eyesight and ranging capabilities!!
    Of course if you limit yourself to a blind, and predetermine set distances... maybe...

For myself, and all my buddies who hunt with a bow, a rangefinder is pretty much required equipment.
    Of course we are obviously not as "perfect" as some...
    But we have discovered that knowing your range exactly certainly makes for improved accuracy overall.

Sheesh!
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Calm down Nog . LOL . As a Traditional bowhunter , never was in a situation where I needed a range finder . Pacing out and marking certain points was standard procedure . Then including two practice arrows in my quiver confirmed these points after each morning and evening hunt .
    Of course attending the numerous 3-D events over all these years presented all the various shot senarios and your limitations .
    Cheers , I need glasses and am not perfect ! LOL .
    Last edited by greybark; 07-02-2018 at 10:01 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Arrow Re: range finders for archery

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    Calm down Nog . LOL .
    I hear you Oh Grey One.
    Just I tend to get my dander up a smidge when anyone belittles another while suggesting their own superiority...
    Kind of what it looked like to me...

For what you (and he) suggest, from a blind at predetermined / confirmed distances I guess you're right and the range finder wouldn't be all that necessary.

I hunt much more often from a spot & stalk situation than any other, and am comfortable to ranges well beyond 40 yards when I know the true & exact distance. For me, it is simply a requirement. For others, perhaps not so much...

Apologies to BoBilly for snarking...

Carry On...

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Good morning Nog , if Gold River has their 3-D event we shoot some time ?
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Thats funny, you a funny guy mr. If you were a real bow hunter you would know that the a few yards makes a lot of difference in a shot.

Thumbs up Re: range finders for archery

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    Good morning Nog , if Gold River has their 3-D event we shoot some time ?
    Cheers
    I'd be interested, if I happen to on land when it occurs, and of course if they would allow my crossbow...

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    I'd be interested, if I happen to on land when it occurs, and of course if they would allow my crossbow...

Cheers,
    Nog
    Not so sure you want to go up against Greybark and the stick and string. He might be crusty, but he's competitive. Of course they would/should allow your crossbow. Most 3D's do now.

I have a long history of compound bow hunting and 3-D FUN. I have a bummed right shoulder now that enables me to still be an archery shooter because I have to hunt up close and personal with my X-Bow.

I'm on Matt's team!!