Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7-26 Moose Draw

Re: 7-26 Moose Draw

Good calling spots to me are hard smaller cutblocks that have a good echo in them... its kinda hard to explain more than that.... you just get that feeling!... when you are calling wind direction is huge huge.... if the wind flips even once it blows you

I to got a group draw in 7-26 and hunted 4 years ago and only saw 1 bull and a couple hears of elk, we will be camped at dolphin lake or dem lake as fishing is good at both. We are also from the Island ,Sooke area. We will be there around the 28th of Sept. Lots of grouse I was told by a friend that got the draw last year and they got there bull also..You can pm me and we can talk on the phone . cheers Chucker.

Lots of logging and road work going on last year, roads were hard on the tires. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Good calling spots to me are hard smaller cutblocks that have a good echo in them... its kinda hard to explain more than that.... you just get that feeling!... when you are calling wind direction is huge huge.... if the wind flips even once it blows you
    Can you please clarify? I'd like to try calling moose this year, but I don't want to risk getting blown by a big bull.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Moose calling is a thing you have to commit to.. it takes time to gain the confidance.. the first time i tried it i left the spot too early, i thought i was doing it wrong.. i walked up a ridge and found a 40+ inch bull going down the draw to where i was.. too bad i was immy hunting...

I like to call in small cutblocks that slope away from you into something like a swamp or something that looks like a travel corridor.. small like under 300 yards from where i am sitting... multiple tree heights can be good too.. like a c
    5 year old cut with a virgine timber line that meets a 20 year old cut....

But sign is key...

Sorry OP, i kinda derailer your thread... i hope you have an access plan!

Hope to see ya up there as we got a group draw there to. And if the camp site isn't full we will be at dolphin lake or dem lake. See ya there and site around the fire for some stories. cheers Chuck.