Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7-26 Moose Draw

Cool 7-26 Moose Draw

Hi all. I was lucky enough to get a moose draw with my sons this year in 7-26. We're realatively new to moose hunting and definitely new to WMA 7-26. We're travelling up from the Island.

Looking for any advice on accessing the area and re timing.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7-26 Moose Draw

thick bush lots of local pressure very low moose population...exspensive on tires..lots of aggresive nocturnal bears.

Pm sent. Lots of potential up there. There are some smasher bulls up there.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

If you see a lifted 06 blue gmc with a winch thats me! Lol..

I cant speak too much to the area as i have only been once.. my buddy i will be with has history there...

What i do tho is this...
    I call.. so the first day or 2 is mostly road hunting looking for sign and good blocks to call in.. once i have a few places i sot and call..

In the spot at 30 minutes before shooting light...
    Sit for around 15 minutes then start calling... i cow call and i do it every 10 minutes... repeat process untill 10:30 am.... then i go back to camp for some food... then in the truck and road hunt till around 3pm.. get to another calling spot so you are set up at 4:30... call every 10 minutes till dark...

Youtube moose calling... there are a million ways to do it.. but you have 2 calls .. bull... and cow....
    But there are a hubdred different cow calls out there....

I use my hands.... i cow call for one big realson...
    I am not trophy hunting moose.. i cow cal to emulate a cow that is horny! And i want every bull out there to come.

I bull grunt sometimes to close the deal if a decent bull is hung up on the treeline....

When you watch tv thoes guys are trying to call mr badass... they act like a bull to get a bigger bull to come kick their ass... trouble is if there is a 30" er out there he will never come in...where as he will with a cow call...

Bring a pile of rope and a cordless sawsall and some 12" demo blades...and a block.... 1/2 poly steel is cheap like 100$ for 1000' at a commercial fishing store..

And shoot'em till they are down....

Good luck...

Lol i got me excited for october

Accessing 7-26 for me is thru Ft.ST. James up the east side of Stuart lk then takeing the north split up towards Middle river and Takla lake.For timeing it depends if you want to take a nice bear or two first before your moose this is what we do.7-26 is a large mu with good access and tons of huntable territory.
    We head in and set camp up on the 23rd of Sept ,fill out bear tags then concentrate on bull moose,generally our moose is down by the 28/29/30th of sept,thats prime rut time and the big bulls will be heading down from the high country looking for love and a lead sleeping pill.
    We got pulled for two bull authorizations in that area this yr and will be there for the last week of Sept and first week of Oct...hope for cooler weather..
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Bring a pile of rope and a cordless sawsall and some 12" demo blades...and a block.... 1/2 poly steel is cheap like 100$ for 1000' at a commercial fishing store
    Good luck...
    You got me going too... practiced some calls today.
    What type of “block” ?whats that for?

He's talking about a block that you would put your rope through.Get a good pack. As well as calling you should be looking and learning how to quarter and pack moose quarters. They require a lot more work and planning than dealing with a deer. Shooting them is one thing getting them out is another. Not sure if you're using quads but if so please don't build trails into meadows and swamps because you don't know how to pack one out. The remaining moose thank you.

A "block" is a pulley.

Yep a big honkin pulley so you can chaint to a stump andd drive away.... pull the moose by its rear legs that way things dont hang up as bad.. raidios are handy for thus part....