Thread: Beware

Beware

I just learned that a 3 yr. old German Shepherd in Delta died from eating muffins made with the artificial sweetener xylitol. If you are diabetic or use artificial sweeteners pay close attention that you do not feed any to your dog.

I’m not sure if it’s the time of year (the pre-bathing suit months?), but lately I’ve been hearing about an unusual number of cases of xylitol poisoning in dogs. Whatever is going on, it seems that a review of the danger that xylitol poses to our canine friends is in order.

Xylitol is a sugar substitute. It tastes sweet, but its chemical make-up means that it contains fewer calories than do sugar, corn syrup, and other traditional sweeteners. It also cannot be used as an energy source by oral bacteria, meaning it is less likely to promote the formation of cavities. Not surprisingly, these characteristics have led to xylitol being included in a long list of sugar-free products like gum, candy, baked goods, toothpaste, mouthwash, mints, and nutritional supplements.

Dogs and people both taste the sweetness of xylitol, but the species react very differently to it once it heads further down the gastrointestinal tract. People slowly absorb xylitol into the blood stream, while in dogs the process occurs at a MUCH faster rate. A dog’s body reacts to this influx of xylitol by secreting large amounts of insulin, which can quickly (often in less than 30 minutes) cause blood sugar levels to drop to potentially fatal levels. Symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) include:

• lethargy
    • weakness
    • dullness or confusion
    • seizures
    I shoot a "Girly Gun" a lil' ol' 45-70
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and the pig likes it."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Beware

A great advice to dog owners!

BTW-

Xylitol is not an artificial sweetener but a sweet crystalline carbohydrate that occurs naturally in virtually all vegetables and fruits. It is produced commercially from birch bark, corn husks and stone fruit.
    https://www.nature.com/vital/journal...vital1087.html

Been using Xylitol for many years. Totally cut out the sugar since a teen & mostly used it as a substitute.
    I’ve known for many years that Xylitol is toxic to dogs & probably to other animals such as bears.

Years ago I introduced LT(lover 308 ) to Xylitol while hunting. In no time he got a severe case diarrhea(wasn’t used to it).
    I warned him not to give anything that has xylitol in it to his dog which he heeded.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Xylitol also appears in a few brands of peanut butter.
    Be careful what you feed your dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Xylitol also appears in a few brands of peanut butter.
    Be careful what you feed your dog.
    Good to know. I use Xylitol in homemade toothpaste. I was aware it was toxic to dogs, but wouldn't have thought about it being in some peanut butters.