Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shulaps Range Sheep Hunt

Shulaps Range Sheep Hunt

I managed to draw a Ram ( 3/4 ) in the Shulaps Range ( 332 E ) this year. Ive never hunted this Range before but have spent time researching this beautiful area and Im looking forward to doing some scouting this summer and hunting in the fall. Im very aware that the numbers for sheep and deer are not nearly what they once were in this region and alot of that has do do with the amount of motorized vehicals, mnt biking , hiking ect... which has found its way into these mountains. That said, I will be looking to scout areas with less recreational usage. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to share some insight into this region . Im not asking for anyone's hunting honey hole's ( if there is such a thing anymore ) , but if anyone with recent knowledge of this range has any suggestions where I might try some scouting without running into too many recreational troupes it would be much appreciated.

Thanks D

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shulaps Range Sheep Hunt

Had the draw about 5 years ago. Limited access, guides hid or destroyed bridges to some of the areas. Locals informed me non guided hunters were not welcome. Never went back.

Well that’s a positive note sounds like someone doesn’t want people hunting in there blazing billy but thanks for your 8th contribution in as many years

Area seems good I’m sure there’s a sheep in there for you. Hit up google earth a lot and scout that way
    i hunted goat on the south side of carpenter but drove the road that covers most of the south side of the zone. I’m not sure how you hide a bridge and I doubt people actually destroy bridges because they want the zone. But I maybe be wrong and just too positive. I wouldn’t trust the locals if someone said I wasn’t welcome. Has nothing to do with me not being welcome and all to do with I’m going to continue on my legal hunt whether you like that or not. Anyways good luck I’d be more than happy to field any questions if you pm me this is a hunt I have applied for in the past and am interested in for sure.

Congrats on the draw! PM coming your way

Seems to be some tit for tat in that area with the locals and guide outfitter.I ran into him at the trail head one time and he was fine though curious where i was from.Beautiful country good luck.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

I was in there years ago. But I found rams up Noaxe Creek heading into Big Dog mountain.
    we bush wacked in and hit a trail on Big dog Mountain side about halfway to the Alpine.
    Trail is on the left side if the valley when looking up stream.
    I'm talking 25 years ago. Get there from the Carpenter Lake side, Hope you Get a Ram!!

I put in for the same draw but didn't get it. I'm interested to hear how you make out.

There's a video you can watch that might help you find rams.
    It's called California Bighorns - Mixed Bag Hunt in B.C. and features an outfitter known as "Bighorn" Bruce Ambler.
    If you watch carefully and are proficient in the use of topo maps you can figure out the location...
    Good luck - I never did bag a Calie to complete my BC Grand Slam...

Still some good rams in there. Been in there but not for 8 years now. .already have 2calies..
    Anything I can do to help ?
    Cheers..congrads
    Srupp

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    If you watch carefully and are proficient in the use of topo maps you can figure out the location...
    Thanks for the tip!