Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations, you got your draw

Congratulations, you got your draw

Just a reminder to all those who were drawn in the LEH. See the hunt through.

This time of year there's people asking for suggestions, hints, tips on areas to hunt where they have never been. That's fine but at the end of the day the person that got drawn should make every endeavour to hunt the area they were drawn. If they don't go they're basically taking away that opportunity from another hunter.

For example, a couple years ago I got drawn for elk in 2-12Q. It took a lot to get the gear, quad etc up there and it was an expensive hunt but once I found out I got the draw I had to see it through. In the end I didn't harvest an elk but we tried our best, if I never went up there I would always have wondered what it was like in that area, now I know.

So do your research on the area your were drawn and get up there and hunt it, you owe us all that much.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Congratulations, you got your draw

Interesting sentiments.

I agree with the first post. Be serious about it, have respect for your fellow Hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by jamfarm View Post
    Just a reminder to all those who were drawn in the LEH. See the hunt through.

This time of year there's people asking for suggestions, hints, tips on areas to hunt where they have never been. That's fine but at the end of the day the person that got drawn should make every endeavour to hunt the area they were drawn. If they don't go they're basically taking away that opportunity from another hunter.

For example, a couple years ago I got drawn for elk in 2-12Q. It took a lot to get the gear, quad etc up there and it was an expensive hunt but once I found out I got the draw I had to see it through. In the end I didn't harvest an elk but we tried our best, if I never went up there I would always have wondered what it was like in that area, now I know.

So do your research on the area your were drawn and get up there and hunt it, you owe us all that much.
    When allotting tags they assume some people are not going to hunt the tag. Yeah it sucks, especially if you have been trying for years. But it is their draw to do as they wish, I suppose you tell the winner of Lotto 6/49 how to spend their winning to?
    KCCO

And people wonder why hunter recruitment and retention is tough....

Plenty of reasons why people put in for the LEH's they do and plenty of reasons why some tags don't get utilized. My first goat LEH was nothing more than a learning experience and a back country hunting reality check. In hind sight, no goats were in any danger from me that week. My second goat draw was during the same period I drew a shared moose hunt. I didn't have time to hunt both and the goat tag took a back seat to the moose.

To each his own. Hunt your tag the way you want.

I know of two guys who have had Kamloops Lake sheep draw and never even bought a tag
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

There are hunters who put in for draws on mule deer does and cow and calf draws for both elk and moose in hopes of winning one with no intentions of ever using them. Their reasoning is they don't think these draws for the females of the species should be awarded in the first place. They feel if they don't use their draw, in essence, they're saving an animal. As mentioned, I guess if you win one it should be up to that individual how they choose to use it.

Last season I chose not to use my doe draw, my first win on one since the new century began ,,,,,,but that was because I didn't want a CO knocking on my door. It was a good season and I had harvested three deer before the LEH came into affect was my reasoning.

-- Remember every thing costs money, so how much wood U need? Planning ahead and saving.
    ------ things change around you also, at work, at home etc
    Jel -- pay the bucks take the chances on LEH -- keep it going strong --

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I know of two guys who have had Kamloops Lake sheep draw and never even bought a tag
    Me too! Local guy who had a local moose draw and went for that instead. GAK!