Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

When we able to look over the ridge-line, we saw goats!Actually, we saw 4 good Billies. This is the only shot I have of that side ofthe mountain, and those three white dots in a line (just below the horizon) areall Billies, about 350 yards away.

However, we also saw one that was feeding in the timber youcan see in the foreground. After watching for a considerable amount of time, Isaid to my buddy, “I think the closest one is the best one”. He agreed, said hefigured that also, but didn’t want to sway my estimation. The closest one wasjust about exactly 200 yards.
    The trees kind of give you an indication of how steepeverything was.
    Everything was set up, and so I got down and shot the goat.Bang! Down it went, no problem there. Then I watched the other three Billiesrun over the ridge line, there was one that was pretty good for sure, but minewas still the best.
    Then we had to get to my dead Billy. We hiked back to theright to find a way down to the same level it was on, then hiked back again to theleft to get to it. Sure enough, it was a dandy! A huge body on it, ended upscoring 49 4/8, so made both the BC book and the Boone and Crockett 26thBig Game Awards, 2004 – 2006. I shot him on September 10, 2005.

So, the end of the story. We still had all kinds ofdaylight, so we caped it and boned it out, then hiked back over the mountainagain and down to my hunting partner’s goat. He loaded his goat up into his bagand we went back to our tent.
    The next day we started down, and we struggled hard all thatday. Our packs were incredibly heavy! We were going downhill and all, butstill, it was hard. There was a stretch of Devils Club about 200 yards acrossthat took us ages to cross. Then I thought there was a better way down by goingstraight down for a stretch, instead of going side-hill. That was a bigmistake. So, anyway, in the end we got to the truck just at dusk, so didn’thave to hike in the dark or decide whether to camp or anything. But it wasbrutal, believe me!
    So that is the story of my 2005 Record Book Rocky MountainGoat! Hope you have enjoyed the story!

Great story! This is inspiration for my upcoming hunt!
    Last edited by kootenaihunter; 08-08-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Great goat Rupert! If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you accomplished this. My last goat I got at 61 years and it about did me in.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Great story sure makes me look forward to my first goat hunt in September.....

great story and thanks for sharing....