Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

If someone can pick up my detritus and actually post the pics, that would be nice. I can't believe that I can't do that, but that is how this forum works.

Last edited by Rupert Retired; 08-07-2018 at 10:03 PM.

That day we had left earlyenough, and knew where we were going, so we were able to hike up the mountain.
    We finally broke out into thealpine in early evening, just enough time to set up camp on the only fairlyflat ledge we could find. Here is a pic of that camp the next day, notice that thereis not much level ground anywhere! I actually used this exact same site to campanother time, a few years later, it is literally the only level ground around!

The next day we woke up full of piss and vinegar, as theysay. My hunting partner got up before me, and as I was getting dressed and makingbreakfast, he had already glassed a Billy that he said he wanted. That was finewith me, so after breakfast, he started out his stalk. I stayed just above ourcamp and watched with the spotting scope. I had told him before he left that iswas not a real big one, maybe 8 inches or so, but definitely a Billy.
    He shot that one, and it was a decent Billy, about what Ihad figured, 8 ½ inches. Not going to post his pics though.
    So, we butchered that one up, and left it spread out on themountain, ready to be picked up on our return trip. I still had a tag, and sothat was what we were focused on.
    There were no more goats in the basin we were in, and so wedecided to hike to the top of the mountain and look on the other side.
    The slopes here on the coastal range are genuinelytreacherous, usually huge granite slabs with no footholds or anything, justsmooth rock. Any moss or anything that can hold moisture is extremelytreacherous. If you ever started to slide, it would be a quick water slide andover the edge, like 1000 feet or so.

We made it to the top of the ridge, but had to pick our waycarefully.
    Here is a pic of my hunting partner coming up the mountainbehind me.

We kept climbing, and kept going to the side as well, as youcan see from the next pic, me just about up to the ridge (and on some firmerground!)

The next pic is of the ridge line above us, we had to pick away to look over and still be able to access any goats we saw.