Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

I was 54 years old that year.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Great goat Rupert! If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you accomplished this. My last goat I got at 61 years and it about did me in.

Great story and write up! Nice goat

Great writeup and story Rupert, and congrats, what a gorgeous billy....depending on what my partner and I find on our GOS scout in the next couple of weeks, we may be doing a GOS goat hunt in October....I'm thinking if there's snow already up higher it could be sketchy...if there isn't, I'm guessing they'll still be up high, until snow starts pushing them down - has anybody else had much experience hunting goats in Oct?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Great writeup and story Rupert, and congrats, what a gorgeous billy....depending on what my partner and I find on our GOS scout in the next couple of weeks, we may be doing a GOS goat hunt in October....I'm thinking if there's snow already up higher it could be sketchy...if there isn't, I'm guessing they'll still be up high, until snow starts pushing them down - has anybody else had much experience hunting goats in Oct?
    Goats don't usually move to winter range ( lower elevations) until the snow pushes them down (usually mid to late November depending on area and snow conditions).

Winter range goats are easier to access but tougher to spot. A few hundred feet in elevation difference is huge in goat country. If your hunting in snow, crampons are a great addition and give amazing footing in the right conditions.

If it's an early snow the goats may be lower which will make your hunt easier. A clear, cold day is perfect for hunting late season goats.

Not knowing which area your hunting I'd guess the goats will still be on summer range in October but you never know. My favorite time to hunt them is late November as the hair is prime (but the meat is terrible) and they are usually on winter range by then hanging with the nannies.

Whatever time you hunt goats will be an adventure.

The above information is about interior goats. I have no experience with coastal goats. Good luck and have fun.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I've been searching for a kimber. 270WSM for goat hunting. What is everyone else using? I've seen guys go with everything from 22-250 to 30-06

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Goats don't usually move to winter range ( lower elevations) until the snow pushes them down (usually mid to late November depending on area and snow conditions).

Winter range goats are easier to access but tougher to spot. A few hundred feet in elevation difference is huge in goat country. If your hunting in snow, crampons are a great addition and give amazing footing in the right conditions.

If it's an early snow the goats may be lower which will make your hunt easier. A clear, cold day is perfect for hunting late season goats.

Not knowing which area your hunting I'd guess the goats will still be on summer range in October but you never know. My favorite time to hunt them is late November as the hair is prime (but the meat is terrible) and they are usually on winter range by then hanging with the nannies.

Whatever time you hunt goats will be an adventure.

The above information is about interior goats. I have no experience with coastal goats. Good luck and have fun.
    Excellent, thanks for the info bud...great idea about the crampons...

Don't laugh at my caliber of choice but I will going in with my Christensen Arms Summit TI in 300 RUM topped with a Swarovski Z3 guns weighs 7Lbs 7 OZ.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    The photo I put in post #59
    was taken mid February and we were heading into a col just below Mt. Lindsay. My guess is the ridge they were on was over 2,000 meters. Not sure snow pushes them down in any permanent fashion, but that's just a guess on my part.
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-10-2018 at 08:19 PM.

^^^^i imagine they can stay higher for longer into the winter when they're on wind swept ridges, but I could be wrong....great pic, they are very tough, cool critters..

Very good advice from many hunters.
    One thing I have used quite successfully on several goat hunts is a set (or a few sets since they get torn up) of "Whites," otherwise known as disposable Tyevek or painters coveralls. They are lightweigh and work wonderfully when getting caught flatfooted in the open without cover when stalking goats. You can see the change in their body language; they go from being alert and on edge to being at ease and relaxing while continuing to feed or bed down. If you have no option but to approach from below, wearing "Whites" will allow you to get in range...even bow range. They think its just another goat. Of course you can't be talking and clanging metal and walking upwind of them, but it covers off the visible aspect and they even have hoods so you are almost completely white. If hunting heavy hunted areas you might want a bit of orange but I've never hunted goats where that's been a problem.