Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^i imagine they can stay higher for longer into the winter when they're on wind swept ridges, but I could be wrong....great pic, they are very tough, cool critters..

Goats are extremely tough. I've watched them travel hundreds of yards in chest deep snow. I've also seen them kick a path through a 5' cornice to get on top of a ridge

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    I've been searching for a kimber. 270WSM for goat hunting. What is everyone else using? I've seen guys go with everything from 22-250 to 30-06
    All the goats I've been in on have been either 270win or 30-06. A well known goat hunting guide out of alaska said most of his goats were taken with a 257 roberts with regular old soft point bullets. He contended the shock of a fast expanding soft point deer bullet did better on goats than high powered magnums or better constructed bullets like a tsx etc... I don't really know. I've used accubonds with great success on goat, and the 270 has been more than adequate.

I'll be leaving for a region 3 hunt in a week so getting pumped now!!!

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Timberjack View Post
    All the goats I've been in on have been either 270win or 30-06. A well known goat hunting guide out of alaska said most of his goats were taken with a 257 roberts with regular old soft point bullets. He contended the shock of a fast expanding soft point deer bullet did better on goats than high powered magnums or better constructed bullets like a tsx etc... I don't really know. I've used accubonds with great success on goat, and the 270 has been more than adequate.

I'll be leaving for a region 3 hunt in a week so getting pumped now!!!

TJ
    I don't have anything to add but after reading this thread, best of luck on your region three hunt.. goat is something I'd like to get into sooner rather than later. The solitude sounds appealing !

Heading into 6-17 on Friday cannot wait hope the forecast holds because it’s looking like a beauty week ahead. Good luck everyone can’t wait to share our story with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Astepanuk View Post
    Heading into 6-17 on Friday cannot wait hope the forecast holds because it’s looking like a beauty week ahead. Good luck everyone can’t wait to share our story with you all.
    Its been a long time coming for you hasn’t it!? The anticipation must be through the roof by now lol. Good luck to you and your partners!! Be safe!! Looking forward to a good goat story and pics when you get back!!

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Its been a long time coming for you hasn’t it!? The anticipation must be through the roof by now lol. Good luck to you and your partners!! Be safe!! Looking forward to a good goat story and pics when you get back!!
    You bet it has I sure hope all the training preparation and pestering of you guys pays off.

Oh the day dreams are starting to become real..... lets see them goat pics

I love goat hunting but I'm not sure I really have much to share. When looking back at our goat hunt pictures over the years I think the scenery and memories of hunting with good friends and family stands out more than any of the Goats we have harvested.

Goat hunters are for real folks! I gotta take my hat off!
    Jelly - Goat hunters are in shape people! Well done hunters --

Good luck folks! I have a goat tag for North Selkirk zone in region 4 this year. Taking off Oct 7 to Oct 18! Picture of a waterfall I came across while doing some summer scouting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6DEC8BD1-E948-4045-BE65-0A9506D2D8F7.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	7105  
    Last edited by Wapiti5; 09-23-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added a picture