Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

I started goat hunting 5 years ago now. Its the most anticipated hunt I have. Every trip was successful in a way or two and only one of those hunts came back with a filled tag. The others were early retreats because of injury or weather. Good boots, good tent, good rain gear , and water. Nothing worse then having to pack extra pounds of water. It also doesn't matter how young or old you are invest in some trekking poles or just a cheap pair of ski poles you will appreciate them more than you think. Its not a race take your time and enjoy the whole experience.

Any alpine mule deer in 3-33? I got drawn for goat in 3-33e this year and quite excited/ little nervous for the explore and hunt as I don't know the area at all...

it’s hard for a first time goat hunter to pass on their first opportunity on a goat. The more you hunt goats the more you see how fragile a population in a area can be. So make sure your confident telling the nanny’s and billies apart. In my opinion, hunting goats is far more rewarding than killing goats, as others have stated already make sure your able to collect the goat you harvest, if ya shoot one in a dangerous spot it’s not worth your safety or a goats life to be in a bad spot. Be cautious for your own safety, if have had a few wild moments in goat country where you can end up in a bad spot. Rocks give out and slides can happen fast when you apply your body weight into a rock that isn’t as secure as it looks.

Went for an evening hike last night in region 2 and saw 11 goats! 3 billies I was able to get within 200 yards. Never been that close and was cool to see them do their thing in the steep rock band, scraping bedding chewing cud. Then once on top of the ridge I looked through the binos and saw a group of eight feeding along a steep green slope in the distance. Amazing terrain they hang out in.

Been goat hunting a couple times to the south end of Chilco Lake (Franklyin Arm)
    It was awesome, tried a few times in the Pemberton area, Duffy Lake but never got it.
    Wouldn't mind trying up the Elaho.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

any other goat guys get the 2-11 draw?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter fisher View Post
    any other goat guys get the 2-11 draw?
    My wife got drawn in 2-11A

Anyone here got drawn for 3-15A?

Quote Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
    ..........Rocks give out and slides can happen fast when you apply your body weight into a rock that isn’t as secure as it looks.
    Just as much fun as when roots give out on the scrub you are using to pull yourself uphill. That looooong pause, when you look at the wood bits in your hand, just before the sky starts spinning wildly as you go over backwards = priceless

It can be easy to get into goats and with some care to weed out a billy from the nannies, but there is nothing like finding that single, old, yellow haired, long horse-faced Grandpa Billy with a big flowing October coat and pantaloons
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Anybody get 3-36? Bought a house in the area and plan to do some looking around, could point you in the direction of some goats.