Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

cant call my self a Goat hunter yet but sure has heck been doing enough research and reading about identifying Billie's, We are not gong in until Sept 14th hoping that the fur is starting to thicken up by then not overly interested in a short haired Goat any thoughts. Also do you guys typically find goats on South face slopes or they typically where ever you find them.

Thanks

You should have plenty of hair by mid September. Not winter furry but pretty enough for a nice trophy.

I was thinking about locations I have seen them and can't say south is better than any other. The last three I was in on, two were on an east slope and one was on a ridge top facing north.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    You should have plenty of hair by mid September. Not winter furry but pretty enough for a nice trophy.

I was thinking about locations I have seen them and can't say south is better than any other. The last three I was in on, two were on an east slope and one was on a ridge top facing north.
    Thanks Cant stop thinking about our upcoming hunt putting the Miles on my boots in preparation..

went for a lookee lookee and low and behold 7 Goats spotted 3 nannies with kids and one nice Billy I know there was more but it was Hot that day so I'm guessing the rest were in the timber oh yeah !! and the cardio continues LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cabled View Post
    Hey all,
    I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag for sept/oct in region 3. Not interested in specifics of the unit really, kinda feel like it’d take something away from any success I might have. That being said my experience with goats is limited to a couple I’ve randomly seen while mule deer hunting. Anyone with insight as far as habits, tactics, where to look, what they eat etc, that is willing to share, I’m all ears! I’m sure I’m not the only one with a tag that might benefit from some knowledge. Anyways, just throwing it out there. Thanks.
    Hi Cabled. I am 67 years old and have 11 goat horns hanging. 8 of those are billies. One is in the all-time B&C record book (scores 52), another is in their 3-year award series (scores 49 4/. Both of those make it into the BC book. The first goat I shot was in 1973, and we thought at that time that any goat was a good goat (it was a nanny). The other two nannies were, one mistake, and the other one was a 19 year old 9 inch nanny (aged according to the BC Wildlife compulsory inspection report). So, I have had some experience in hunting and shooting goats. In addition to mine are those I have been in on, including two for my brother and one for a friend (2/3 were 9 inch billies) So, I am totally open to you asking me anything you would like to ask, I have looked at all the other responses and they have basically answered everything I can think of, but if you have any specific questions about goat hunting, be my guest. I also include other newbies that have gotten a tag. I don't have a magic formula or anything, but will happily answer any questions!

^^^impressive, would love to see some pics....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
    went for a lookee lookee and low and behold 7 Goats spotted 3 nannies with kids and one nice Billy I know there was more but it was Hot that day so I'm guessing the rest were in the timber oh yeah !! and the cardio continues LOL!!
    Nice, that's good your getting out there and preped for season...GOS area??? One of my partners and I are going out for a scout in 2 weeks, GOS area, should be fun....

Haven't hunted goats, but was fortunate to spot a group on a winter backcountry ski trip MU4-20. There's also a herd
    just off highway 97 between Peachland & Summerland. Don't reckon those are huntable due to location/proximity to highway.

These guys/gals were a long way off & it was tough to get a decent photo. Certainly gives an idea of how challenging it would be to harvest one in that area.

A gentleman that has guided me on backcountry ski trips lives in Kimberley. He is also a climber & related a story of being hired by a guided goat hunter to retrieve a goat he shot. He had to rappel down a cliff to reach the animal on a narrow shelf. Unable to hoist the goat up, he decided to shove it off the shelf sending it down to the bottom for retrieval. Apparently it was quite a mess due to the fall(s). Depending on the terrain, you might want to contact a mountaineer prior to your hunt in case something similar happens to you. Get a quote too, because hiring a mountain guide doesn't come cheap.
    Last edited by mike31154; 08-10-2018 at 08:07 PM.

also i’ve learned whenever i hike up after a goat i always pack as if i may have to spend the night on the mountain. either you may have to sit on the goat longer than expected waiting for an opportunity or if you do connect late in the day you may wanna spend the night so your not rushing to cape and process your goat. either way having enough water and food and maybe a sleep bag will adds some comfort, rather than having to wait out the night sleeping in just the cloths your wearing.