Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Any goat hunters out there?

Hey all,
    I was lucky enough to draw a goat tag for sept/oct in region 3. Not interested in specifics of the unit really, kinda feel like it’d take something away from any success I might have. That being said my experience with goats is limited to a couple I’ve randomly seen while mule deer hunting. Anyone with insight as far as habits, tactics, where to look, what they eat etc, that is willing to share, I’m all ears! I’m sure I’m not the only one with a tag that might benefit from some knowledge. Anyways, just throwing it out there. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

I am in the same boat, first goat tag and in reg3. Been reading as much as I can and am finding the more I read the more I get excited to give it a go. Maybe some help on their habits and the logistics of a goat hunt

Otter Point (Southern Vancouver Island) MU1-2&3

X3 for region 3, 3-33E for myself, either of you two in that same area?

I’ll be following this one as well.

got a draw in region 5

Start getting into shape. Those bloody hills are always steeper then you think.
    You may get snow. Or it can be bloody hot.
    Take some mole skin. Definitely take a camera.
    You could be in some alpine or walking up boulder fields. So have good footwear. Take a couple pairs with you. I had some boots for the alpine areas and some for the boulder areas. Of course I left them at the truck. The one day we walked up the alpine area I had the boots for that area. The next day the boulder area I had the boots for that.

You can see goats above alpine spots so glass.

IF you starting your hike out don't wear lots of layers at first youll be sweating in no time.

Some parts of region 3 I have had ticks on me so take a tick key or something.

You may want to bring a walking stick.

Good luck
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

^^^^^like she said, get in shape and have good boots...I'd say take all your gear for an expedition beforehand to try er out....ticks in the fall though??

Quote Originally Posted by B.C.Boy(100%) View Post
    X3 for region 3, 3-33E for myself, either of you two in that same area?
    3-33A for me

I’ve killed and guided a few. Learn the difference between a billy and a nanny. Be fit, be proficient with your firearm. Learn to cape and dress and bone out your kill. Be prepared to hunt in some sketchy situations. Buy the best gear you can afford. It’s fun and rewarding and can be scary as hell. Good luck.

Good boots are a must! Do your homework on learning the difference between a nanny and a billy so that when it comes time for the hunt you can confidently ID a billy to harvest. The book "A Beast the Color of Winter" is an excellent resource to have a read through. Scout the area if at all possible, this will pay dividends when it comes time for the hunt. Also remember that the terrain will always be way more gnarly in person than what it looks like on google earth. Good luck out there!
    See the swing...hear the ding!

3/33 a for me too. Nate here. Gonna start hiking above Anderson lake very soon.