Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Limited experience hunting goats, most of my hunting has been for bear and deer, with some hunting for moose and elk...however, I hike hunt whether it be for goat or any other critter why you ask?? Are you talking like that to feel like your dick is slightly bigger??
    No I'm talking like I feel your incessant need to comment on many things you know very little about gets a bit tiresome. Sometimes it's better to do a bit more reading and a little less posting.....you just might learn something
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    No I'm talking like I feel your incessant need to comment on many things you know very little about gets a bit tiresome. Sometimes it's better to do a bit more reading and a little less posting.....you just might learn something
    I have hunted goat, limited like I said, but I have.....I'm sharing from my personal experiences, what I've learned...is that against the grain here?? I didn't think so...here's a pic of a goat while hunting a LEH I had (unsuccessful stalk but I stalked it for 5 hours), unfortunately I did have to cut my hunt short due to a grandparent passing away (I only had a certain amount of time off originally for the hunt, then had to go to funeral), ...people like you make some people hesitant to post on here, and sharing one's experience, short or long, is what HBC is all about...BTW you still haven't answered my question: what did I post that was incorrect???

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by HarryToolips; 07-04-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Now back on track: here's a few pics of some of the topography you LEH goat hunters of western region 3 may encounter....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I have hunted goat, limited like I said, but I have.....I'm sharing from my personal experiences, what I've learned...is that against the grain here?? I didn't think so...here's a pic of a goat while hunting a LEH I had (unsuccessful stalk but I stalked it for 5 hours), unfortunately I did have to cut my hunt short due to a grandparent passing away (I only had a certain amount of time off originally for the hunt, then had to go to funeral), ...people like you make some people hesitant to post on here, and sharing one's experience, short or long, is what HBC is all about...BTW you still haven't answered my question: what did I post that was incorrect???

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nothing you said was wrong Harry. I apologize if I misread your comments.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I had zone 333f last year. South of carpenter lake and went out of goldbridge. I got a goat after a good week looking around. Tough zone where I was but goats are in there.

Like everyone has said already it’s seriously steep stuff so being in shape or getting In Shape is pretty key as there are some strenuous hikes involved getting into and out of camp. If solo that pack gets mighty heavy with a goat in it.

Pack as light as possible. Do your homework on huntingbc. Look at everyone else’s prep lists print them out and cross reference them all and make YOUR list we are all different in how we hunt and in what we deem necessary to come with, there are some things that we all need though and these lists will all have the basics.

Read the maps lots know the zone inside and out before you even go

Dont go crazy on high end hunting gear. I used basic alpine hiking pants and a couple loose athletic shirts for most day time activity

when you come back to camp it was really nice to have something comfortable and familiar to put on. A nice hoodie. Tshirt and some pants are all the difference after a long day hiking up and down.

Chilli flakes to season up up mountain house. I love spicy so that made it all the better

camera is is nice to have you’ll see a ton of stuff

best 9 days I spent in the bush so far was insanely amazing hunt can’t wait for another got tag. Your going to be in for one spectacular hunt good luck

Quote Originally Posted by nature girl View Post
    Start getting into shape. Those bloody hills are always steeper then you think.
    You may get snow. Or it can be bloody hot.
    Take some mole skin. Definitely take a camera.
    You could be in some alpine or walking up boulder fields. So have good footwear. Take a couple pairs with you. I had some boots for the alpine areas and some for the boulder areas. Of course I left them at the truck. The one day we walked up the alpine area I had the boots for that area. The next day the boulder area I had the boots for that.

You can see goats above alpine spots so glass.

IF you starting your hike out don't wear lots of layers at first youll be sweating in no time.

Some parts of region 3 I have had ticks on me so take a tick key or something.

You may want to bring a walking stick.

Good luck
    agreed on the light clothing...goat hunting is the only time I can remember where I had to remove and carry clothing instead of just slowing down to prevent getting sweaty....that extra dry layer in the pack came in handy for the cold overnight stay on the mountain..

Anther thing to add here I went first 10 days of September and had great weather as far as no rain and good mid 20s temperature. But didn’t account for the wind changing directions and blowin smoke right into the goat zone and rendering spotting pretty much useless over a few hundred yards. If there is fires in the interior be prepared for lots of smoke on the hills

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Nothing you said was wrong Harry. I apologize if I misread your comments.
    Sounds good bud....

Smokey 2pm in the afternoon
    https://i.imgur.com/VaqHXtg.jpg

Look up way up. The goats are as they say way high. I found beds the day before at the peak to the left and this is the next day the goat is at the top right of the lowest point bedded. Can’t see it here
    https://i.imgur.com/Fc1ADLt.jpg

Be prepared to camp in a steep area. Had to camp here one night. Just couldn’t make the top in one go it was straight up almost

https://i.imgur.com/xV0R6Qt.jpg

Awesome info, thanks for taking the time to share. Any ideas when they move into the areas they will be using in sept/oct? Trying to decide when to book some time for scouting. Also is there any aspect (north,south etc.) of the mountain they seem to prefer, or any type of feed to look for?
    Again, thanks for the info so far!