Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any goat hunters out there?

Re: Any goat hunters out there?

Don't shoot what you can't retrieve
    Sometimes goats fall off the cliffs, but when they don't it can be real nasty getting up to and back down can be worse.
    Hunters tend for tred without rope to places climbers or mountaineers wouldn't consider being without a harness and anchors.
    Gotta know your comfort level on the steeps
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Practice shooting at extreme angles long before you hunt. Leave the range alone and find some steep cable logging blks to put your targets up in. Forget the bench and try logs and stumps and rocks as rests. And watch out for scope eye.

Use enough gun that you can still shoot accurately. If you can take out the front shoulders with the shot this can be ideal. Tracking on a cliff or claiming your prize after it has jumped from one is not fun...Good boots, good optics and find a good source of water. Be ready for any type of weather.
    Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Mountain goat hunting, you’ll either get hooked beyond belief, or you’ll sell your goat gear and never think or speak of it again lol.

Good luck to all, looking forward to seeing some pics and story’s this fall. Holding my leh for rut/winter, 10” or bust.
    Yes indeed!!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^^like she said, get in shape and have good boots...I'd say take all your gear for an expedition beforehand to try er out....ticks in the fall though??
    Have you had ANY experience at all hunting goats?

To the OP: Hunting goats is about the most fun you can have with your cloths on. Glass lots. Good optics is a must. Plan your stalks carefully so you don't disturb them and are sure of a reasonable recovery. Sometimes you have to wait a few days until they move to the right spot for harvest. Many times they don't move very far for days on end so usually there is no hurry to get near them.

If your hunting in snow bring crampons.

Goat hunting will challenge you mentally and physically. Move slowly and carefully in dodgy terrain.

Finally, bring your brown under ware. Some of the places you'll probably get into you'll need it. Have fun.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I've done a few backpack goat hunts. My buddy got a Billy on one of the trips but I haven't got that Billy yet, but here's a few things I have learned :

Be prepared to spend the night up the mountain away from your spike camp

Be prepared to deal with an injury. My buddy rolled his ankle bad 13km from the truck. I had a SPOT device and was willing to walk out for help, but he insisted on walking. I carried his pack contents but we could have easily made a bad situation worse
    Watch for goats below you. On my last solo hunt, I was within 150 yards of a nice Billy above me. I was waiting for him to drop off the ledge he was on. A nanny and kid came up from below me and saw my laying prone watching the Billy. She blew like a whitetail doe does when alarmed. Every goat on that mountain went vertical.

Be ready for close shots. Bumped lots of goats in the timber.

Use climbing/hiking poles

Watch your step. I was going side hill trying to get a better look at a goat. Stepped down on what looked like a solid rock and it let go along with everything I was standing on. I buried my hiking pole with enough force to keep me from going down.

Manage your water. I don't know about you but I can pound it back while climbing. It's a long day up high with little left to drink

Above all else, like everyone else says get in the best shape you can. Train for the terrain you will be hunting by carrying the gear you be using. You really have to condition your feet legs and back for the abuse you will he subjecting your body to. And not ony ascending steep terrain but descending as well. I don't care how far you can shoot or how expensive your gear is, if you can't safely and efficiently go up and down the mountain every day, all the other stuff doesn't matter. Its easy to loose motivation when you are exhausted. And it's easy to make bad decisions where risk of injury in unacceptable. Pacing yourself, eating the right food and being in top shape is the best way to enjoy the hunt and hunt effectively
    Last edited by Ron.C; 07-03-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Have you had ANY experience at all hunting goats?

To the OP: Hunting goats is about the most fun you can have with your cloths on. Glass lots. Good optics is a must. Plan your stalks carefully so you don't disturb them and are sure of a reasonable recovery. Sometimes you have to wait a few days until they move to the right spot for harvest. Many times they don't move very far for days on end so usually there is no hurry to get near them.

If your hunting in snow bring crampons.

Goat hunting will challenge you mentally and physically. Move slowly and carefully in dodgy terrain.

Finally, bring your brown under ware. Some of the places you'll probably get into you'll need it. Have fun.
    Limited experience hunting goats, most of my hunting has been for bear and deer, with some hunting for moose and elk...however, I hike hunt whether it be for goat or any other critter why you ask?? Are you talking like that to feel like your dick is slightly bigger??

Harry --- ahhh it sounds like labguy has hunted a lot of goats hahahaha, by his post, sounds almost perfect hahaha so ahh just sayin
    Jel -- size might matter hahahahahhaa -- size of the horns.

^^^^right, so what did I say that was off exactly??

Ahh the goat is like harder to get too eh! then most other animals like deer or bison etc. That's all Harry no big deal?
    --
    Jel -- your young yet and will experience this like some others have who might be a lil older ? --