Thread: Fostering & Rescuing dogs... Max Update...

Fostering & Rescuing dogs... Max Update...

A little update on April 26 our beloved dog Max died in my arms it has been a terrible ordeal worst event I have ever had to deal with.

Part of starting to get over the loss was folks on HuntingBC and a few others donated monies to my son to purchase a full brother to our white dogs we are told that their mom is already pregnant gestation period is appr 2 months and the new boy pup if there is one will be able to come home 7 weeks later.

There were comments made by HBC members that we should get a rescue dog into our home at the time it was something that didn't interest us and still doesn't but I looked into dog rescue's in BC and learnt about fostering or donating towards these rescue facilities.

Due to this research one of my employees has told me she would like a rescue Husky pup for her and her 8 year old son I will be lending her the monies rescues sites want $550 - $650 for adoption fees to get one and she will pay it off by working it off.

and now it turns out the son of one of my complex bosses is having health issues and can't look after his two dogs she took in the little chihuahua and last Friday June 1/18 we opened our home up to fostering her son's beautiful 4 year old female Rottweiler her name is Karma.

She may only be here for 1 1/2 weeks while he/they are working with his medical issues but it may take longer at most she can be here until our new pup arrives which could still be close to 3 1/2 months from now.

She was very nervous coming into a new home with 3 other large dogs, she had never ran on a logging road or even walked a trail off leash before, her claws were long = months overdue for clipping and still after the first clipping to long to run far but I can't clip them for at least two weeks so we will take it easy on her.

She's starting to fill the hole that is still present every day since our Max died this is not a long term adoption I won't have the room for her when the new puppy arrives but that's at least 3 1/2 months for her guy to get over his issues which should be long enough.

Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fostering & Rescuing dogs... Max Update...

Very nice of you to help the dog out

You can trim her nails every 3 or 4 days. Just take a sliver off with the clippers. This will make the quick recede. If you leave the nails for two weeks, the quick will not recede.

Better then clippers is to use a Dremell with the rough sandpaper bit in it. You can get extremely close to the quick with out hitting it and you will be surprised how much more of the nail you can get off. Dremell every 3 or 4 days as well.

Best of luck with your new pup.

Excellent info thank you for sharing I'll give it a try clipping them in the next day or two.

She doesn't like me touching her feet much yet but I am working on getting her more comfortable with me touching her everyday

I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    Very nice of you to help the dog out

You can trim her nails every 3 or 4 days. Just take a sliver off with the clippers. This will make the quick recede. If you leave the nails for two weeks, the quick will not recede.

Better then clippers is to use a Dremell with the rough sandpaper bit in it. You can get extremely close to the quick with out hitting it and you will be surprised how much more of the nail you can get off. Dremell every 3 or 4 days as well.

Best of luck with your new pup.

But....don't use the dremmel for too long on one spot as it heats up quickly causing discomfort/pain. ��
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

No worries I'm betting that she would not let me near her feet with a dremmel.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    But....don't use the dremmel for too long on one spot as it heats up quickly causing discomfort/pain. ��
    would you believe there is a Facebook group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs??

membership in the group is over 47,000 people... which just goes to show, trimming dogs nails IS a HUGE issue for many.

It is an EXCELLENT group with tons of info on desensitizing and correct use of the proper tools for the job.

After a week with us Karma went back home she had become very intense and jealous of me when the other dogs where around especially if I was showing affection to them also twice when I touched her or reached out to grab her collar she took a snap at my hand and raised her gawls in a snarl.

Last Friday I went and picked her up again her family had a huge graduation weekend happening so after some discussion I decided to get her.

I took her and my other dogs into the mountains for the day and went back out again all day Saturday, there was a major change to Karma when she saw me Friday morning she got super excited and didn't hesitate to jump into the vehicle another change was my dog Zoe the one to Karma's right in the picture had taken it upon herself to show Karma who was boss around here gave her a couple of stare downs backed up with growls - barks and a couple nips.

After that Karma learnt her place and has been a dream of a dog.

She is back home again now dad's back out of the hospital again looks like we are going to be Karma's vacation home.

Karma is full time back with her man now she has been fixed and from I hear returning back to normal which I'm told is not that well behaved.

I didn't realize I had completely changed her in the little time she had been with us = she learnt what it was like to be a dog.

Good on you, have had many rotties, love the breed. They can be a bit stubborn but you just need to show them who the boss is, our girl is turning 7 in September and she is an absolute beauty. She is my wifes shadow loves her to pieces which helps a lot with my wifes terminal cancer diagnosis. I love my dog more than most humans, don't know if that is a good or bad thing
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

I love my dog more than most humans, don't know if that is a good or bad thing
    I'm starting to think it is more of a normal thing...

Sorry to hear about your wife's illness.

Our white dogs are 1/2 rottweiler = I understand.