Thread: 6-30 LEH...How busy is it?

6-30 LEH...How busy is it?

My group won the 6-30 bull draw and I was wondering if anyone else who had it in the last few years could chime in with how busy it was for other hunters? I won the early draw for 6-09 previously and found that pretty stiff with trucks but not a lot of people off the roads and was wondering if I can assume the same for this draw? Or does the extra distance north thin out the people who actually come up...
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 6-30 LEH...How busy is it?

The campsites get full and the roads are busy during the rut with guys from down south and local traffic. As with most places as soon as you get off the beaten path you see very few people, however, the bush is very thick and unless you know the areas were the moose hang out it is just dumb luck. Best to find your spots and work them and let the moose come to you. It is beautiful country with some great fishing and nice camping options. Enjoy.

Oh and get a bear tag we saw dozens last year during our various outings, some absolute tanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quesnel Kid View Post
    The campsites get full and the roads are busy during the rut with guys from down south and local traffic. As with most places as soon as you get off the beaten path you see very few people, however, the bush is very thick and unless you know the areas were the moose hang out it is just dumb luck. Best to find your spots and work them and let the moose come to you. It is beautiful country with some great fishing and nice camping options. Enjoy.

Oh and get a bear tag we saw dozens last year during our various outings, some absolute tanks!!!
    Thanks, good advice. Fortunately I live near by and have been to the area a few times but never during hunting season. I was out there all day yesterday poking around, lots of bear sign and saw 2 decent ish boars and a big sow w/cub. The bush is definitely thick but I got all summer to scout it out...sounds like a campsite might be trickier to find..

Camping spots have become busy last several years. There are certainly moose but you have to find the pockets. Lots of swamps around there, go get the gum boots wet

It’s only busy where you road cruise. Had it last year and took my bull on day 8. Hadn’t seen a single moose before that but I knew they were there. Look for nice little havens close to some of the private land where people wouldn’t think to go. There are moose very close to civilization. I hiked my ass off and got nothing until I finally just put up a tree stand on fresh sign and sat. Good old fashioned sitting in a tree always works for me. Bring a canoe and hit some of the small lakes that are around. There are lots of them. I still have a couple of stands set up and will be giving them a crack during the bow season. See you out there. Further is not always better in that area. Tip of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Staal View Post
    It’s only busy where you road cruise. Had it last year and took my bull on day 8. Hadn’t seen a single moose before that but I knew they were there. Look for nice little havens close to some of the private land where people wouldn’t think to go. There are moose very close to civilization. I hiked my ass off and got nothing until I finally just put up a tree stand on fresh sign and sat. Good old fashioned sitting in a tree always works for me. Bring a canoe and hit some of the small lakes that are around. There are lots of them. I still have a couple of stands set up and will be giving them a crack during the bow season. See you out there. Further is not always better in that area. Tip of the day!
    Nice...Yeah you always think "go further in", not always the case. I will be bringing a canoe along for sure as I figure I'll brush in a camp on some lake and then the kids can do some fishing when I'm not using the boat.

A few good spots out there. My advice would be to get as far back into the valley as possible. You will find less people and maybe more moose

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyLimper View Post
    Nice...Yeah you always think "go further in", not always the case. I will be bringing a canoe along for sure as I figure I'll brush in a camp on some lake and then the kids can do some fishing when I'm not using the boat.
    Bringing a canoe with you is a great idea. Driving "as far back as possible" isn't necessary either. 6-30 is one of the better southern region 6 areas IMO. Good luck!
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Drew the same area. I've been up there during the rut for the last few years to fish steelhead and bumped a few bulls. They've all been surprisingly close to town, and I didn't actually see much sign further up valley.

My son and I got the same draw, looking forward to it. Good luck.