Thread: bear jerky

bear jerky

took out the backstraps and boiled tell they reached core temperature off 170plus in a spicy salty water.

next while boiling made a marinade..lemon juice worchester soya maggi pepper and garlic pepper perri perri and syrup.
    sliced thinly let sit 6 hours.

put on smoker rack started smoker..nice wind starting drying about to go in smoker..see what happens..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bear jerky

Great idea! Can't say I do that with the backstraps myself, yet this seems to be a fine idea... Do let us know how they turn out?

Great idea...I'm assuming you researched that obviously there's no danger with eating bear smoked meat due to trichinosis after you have pre cooked to the 170 range??? What is the minimum time frame that you have to cook for to kill any possible trichinosis??? I think I have always just over cooked bear to be safe..

I think bear is in the same realm as pork, between 160-170 should do from what I've read?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Great idea...I'm assuming you researched that obviously there's no danger with eating bear smoked meat due to trichinosis after you have pre cooked to the 170 range??? What is the minimum time frame that you have to cook for to kill any possible trichinosis??? I think I have always just over cooked bear to be safe..

turned out great...i went extra dry

kids ate the one batch and i vacum sealed the other for backpacking....i highly recomend

Thumbs up Re: bear jerky

Excellent! Thought it sounded like a great idea.