Thread: Turkey Hunting in the Kootenay

Turkey Hunting in the Kootenay

I got an LEH for Kootenay 403 for Turkey Dec 1-31.
    First time hunting and wanting to study and prep as much as I can starting now so my odds are as good as possible ( I REALLY want to bag a bird for Christmas and honestly had my heart set on this tag so this is huge for me) Any info on areas, orchards or farms to contact (private land better than public?), calls to use, shotgun recommendations? something that won't kick my ass too much as I read 3 1/2 inch is the best for Turkey. Any and all tips are appreciated Thanks!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey Hunting in the Kootenay

YouTube is your best friend. Honestly, the videos you will find on there are your best resource for how to hunt turkey other than actually going out with somebody experienced. Put in the work well in advance of going out when the season opens. They are pretty habitual and tend to follow the same routes from roost to feed. If you can find where they are travelling through everyday you have a much better chance than just wondering around looking for one. They have impeccable eyesight and will pick you out from way further away than where you can shoot them, so there is no such thing as too much camo, face paint etc. Best bet will be to find the area they hang out and travel through, set up a blind and some decoys then call them in. If you can find access to private land where they are known to frequent, then you are a step ahead. good luck!

Winter Turkey hunting is much different than Spring or Fall seasons. In winter the birds are flocked upin large packs of like animals (ie Toms together, Jakes together and Hens w/lil'uns). The way to do it is Turkey doggin', wherein a trained dog runs into a flock to break it up. Then with the birds scattered, returns to the Hunter and lies still. The Hunter utilizes locator calls at the right time (when the birds begin to reform their flock post-disturbance) to lure a bird to them and takes it when in range/good shot presents.

3 1/2" 12 Gauge is a workaround for early steel (actually soft iron) pellets which have super low g/cc density. Unecessary with modern no-tox waterfowl, let alone for Turkey. Get out and pattern your 20G with as many loads as possible to find the best fir for yourself ans your firearm. You should have no problems getting an effective Turkey killing pattern out to 30+ yards with the right gun/ammo combo.

Best of fortune afield! Congrats on your LEH win.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 06-24-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
    Winter Turkey hunting is much different than Spring or Fall seasons. In winter the birds are flocked upin large packs of like animals (ie Toms together, Jakes together and Hens w/lil'uns). The way to do it is Turkey doggin', wherein a trained dog runs into a flock to break it up. Then with the birds scattered, returns to the Hunter and lies still. The Hunter utilizes locator calls at the right time (when the birds begin to reform their flock post-disturbance) to lure a bird to them and takes it when in range/good shot presents.

3 1/2" 12 Gauge is a workaround for early steel (actually soft iron) pellets which have super low g/cc density. Unecessary with modern no-tox waterfowl, let alone for Turkey. Get out and pattern your 20G with as many loads as possible to find the best fir for yourself ans your firearm. You should have no problems getting an effective Turkey killing pattern out to 30+ yards with the right gun/ammo combo.

Best of fortune afield! Congrats on your LEH win.

Good advice, never thought about the whole winter aspect. That sounds like a fun hunt.

Find a willing rancher and set up near their barn. The turkeys don't move far from there in December. You won't need to call. Just wait.

Thank you all! Hadn’t accounted for the difference in seasons affecting their habits

22 LR is legal for turkey still, no?

If so, I think a 22 would have merit for both range as well as isolating a single bird in a group type environment. Obviously birds are concentrated in groups in December.

They are an absolute nuisance in the area, shouldn't have trouble securing some private land. Just knock on doors and you'll get permission

My son has the same tag. I have to look again but I thought the winter tag was 12ga or bow only.

just looked in the synopsis and it says bow or shot only.
    Last edited by j270wsm; 07-16-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Be curious to see the cost breakdown per pound on a turkey hunt in December.

All in jest obviously.