Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: caddisguy vs ticks: The video

Re: caddisguy vs ticks: The video

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Big fat negative ... they called me in for nothing (other than to make a few bucks?)

It's no Western Blot, but I'll take it for what it is and assume my "hair loss" and "worse hangovers" are not caused by lyme

Thank goodness it wasn't some worse test like a cancer or HIV thing and that I was able to get an appointment right away. Imagine going for an HIV test and they call you up "the doctor NEEDS to see you" and then have to wait overnight or days for the appointment... sounds like a good way to give a guy a jammer
    Glad it worked out ok!

I was in meetings last week in Victoria and the Government wildlife health biologist, who runs the lab in Abbotsford and travels around a lot monitoring the health of all animals large and/or small, indicated, Rocky Mtn tics do not carry the lyme disease. That it is only prevelant in the Eastern areas of North America. That the only 'two' known cases of Lyme arose in the Victoria area. But that did not mean the people that reported it had not been back east recently.

FYI, I've been out a lot this year and have not seen/found a single tic.

Caddis,

Just based on what you post here I really don't think you are afflicted with Lyme. Even if the bacteria is in your system, I think your body does a good job dealing with it.

If you had full blown Lyme you'd be telling your doctor, not waiting for him/her to give you results from a test that is, at best, notoriously unreliable.

PM me if you want to chat about it.

/a
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I was in meetings last week in Victoria and the Government wildlife health biologist, who runs the lab in Abbotsford and travels around a lot monitoring the health of all animals large and/or small, indicated, Rocky Mtn tics do not carry the lyme disease. That it is only prevelant in the Eastern areas of North America. That the only 'two' known cases of Lyme arose in the Victoria area. But that did not mean the people that reported it had not been back east recently.
    This is a pretty widely held belief, even within the medical community, but it is very wrong. I think people tell themselves that to quell fear of walking in the woods but it is dangerously incorrect.

Take a five minute walk through a google search of Lyme in BC and you'll get the idea.

Lyme is best treated immediately after getting bit and the inconvenience is over in weeks. Treatment of chronic lyme takes years.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    This is a pretty widely held belief, even within the medical community, but it is very wrong. I think people tell themselves that to quell fear of walking in the woods but it is dangerously incorrect.

Take a five minute walk through a google search of Lyme in BC and you'll get the idea.

Lyme is best treated immediately after getting bit and the inconvenience is over in weeks. Treatment of chronic lyme takes years.
    Yeah I think I recall a study that said Hope/Chilliwack was high risk and around 20% carry the bacteria.

Testing in Canada seems bizarre. When I went to the lab, the lady that took my blood said the test they gave me was virtually useless and that the ELISA would miss most infections, particularly well established ones.

Apparently what one needs to do (if they are worried about Lyme) is to order a Western Blot test online (I believe it comes from California) ... so you pay for the test kit, take it to your Dr to sign the requisition, then Lifelabs takes your blood with the kit and sends it off to California. Not only do they do a proper Lyme test, but they test for a whole bunch of common co-infections. It's a little pricy. Looks around $300 USD for the Western Blot itself but $500-1000 USD for a thorough panel. Good info for anyone who is interested. I've been casually asking around and researching for a while and this was the first "path" I found for anyone who wants a real test. Personally I'm not that interested. I don't think I have Lyme and if I do, in all probability I would have had it for years and I'm pretty healthy considering all the abuse I put myself through
    Last edited by caddisguy; 07-05-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Caddisguy, congrats on your negative.........a nice sigh of relief to hear...............

When I got my phone call to come in for my test result , I asked for the results and received the you have to come in as he wants to discuss the results with you,so I made the for the next earliest available appointment, however my results were in the same day my husband had an appointment...... my doctor had no issue telling my husband my results during his appointment...... so after Peter left the office he called me and told me I had tested positive for both IgM and IgG antibody there for Lyme disease was positive. Unfortunately I have no recollection of a time frame so I have had it quite some time. I was tested before a few years ago but had a false negative only one factor appeared which why they said negative.

It seems Europe is having greater success with testing than North America and the two strains are now becoming multi strains so harder to fight and detect. Studies can't keep up with how fast it has spread

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper