Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initiation hunter question

Initiation hunter question

I am a bit confused regarding a Initiation hunting license, my daughter got an LEH doe draw in Pemberton and her boyfriend is interested in taking up the sport, so thought it would be a perfect situation to introduce him to what we love to do by bring him along under an Initiation licence!

I know he is able to hunt under myself or my daughter's hunting license and if he harvests a deer one of us would cut our tag, where I am confused can he harvest a deer under her LEH authorization.

Hope I described this properly, anyways thank you if you can help on this.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Initiation hunter question

I don’t think he can harvest her LEH doe but this question would be better off for ministry or CO

Better to ask them then be say well the guys on the hunting forum said it’s OK. You really don’t want his first experience to involve a angry CO

Someone on HBC will know thee answer -- just have patience --
    -- HBC knows by others who did the same thing and can learn from it from hunters also.
    Jel -- glad to see the boy getting into deer hunting, the best -- deer hunting is thee ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    Someone on HBC will know thee answer -- just have patience --
    -- HBC knows by others who did the same thing and can learn from it from hunters also.
    Jel -- glad to see the boy getting into deer hunting, the best -- deer hunting is thee ultimate
    Yes but many wrong answers have been given here as well

Junior Hunters (Age10-17 that don't hold a resident license w/ species tags) & Initiation Hunters hunt under a BC Resident hunter's bag limit. He can harvest any animal his host has a species license for, as long as there's a GOS (General Open Season) for the animal. He cannot shoot under her LEH Authorization legally
    Last edited by todbartell; 06-23-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Thanks!
    So even if the LEH authorization is during a GOS he can not shoot under the LEH?

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Junior Hunters (Age10-17 that don't hold a resident license w/ species tags) & Initiation Hunters hunt under a BC Resident hunter's bag limit. He can harvest any animal his host has a species license for, as long as there's a GOS (General Open Season) for the animal. He cannot shoot under her LEH Authorization legally

Bag Limits

The holder of the initiation licence doesn't have an individual bag limit and isn't eligible to obtain a species licence.
    The supervising hunter must hold the appropriate uncancelled species licence for any species that is hunted. Any game harvested by the holder of an initiation licence must be accounted for as part of the bag limit of the supervising hunter.
    The holder of an initiation hunting licence isn't eligible to participate in limited entry hunting.

Cut and Paste right off Gov website

Question Re: Initiation hunter question

What I recall from the time of the onset of the Initiation Hunting License is that IHL hunters may harvest under any license/bag limit that their mentor hold yet may not enter the LEH on their lonesome (which would increase two fold the potential opportunity for the pair). So LEH entries? nope. Cut an LEH tag? Yep!

This really is a question for the Ministry though... If in your position I would write in to Victoria via email and ask away, then post up with the response right here on HBC!

Best of fortune afield upcoming to Hunters old and new.

I told yah HBC members wood find it for you, smart people for sure, find and move it and what not, any question at all folks.
    -- Must be edumicated eh
    Jel -- thanks for the great response --

Thank you very much!!

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    Bag Limits

The holder of the initiation licence doesn't have an individual bag limit and isn't eligible to obtain a species licence.
    The supervising hunter must hold the appropriate uncancelled species licence for any species that is hunted. Any game harvested by the holder of an initiation licence must be accounted for as part of the bag limit of the supervising hunter.
    The holder of an initiation hunting licence isn't eligible to participate in limited entry hunting.

Cut and Paste right off Gov website