Thread: Lyme Disease

Lyme Disease

Got the vet to give my dog a Lyme disease vaccination yesterday. She got one last year, as well. Anyone else get these for their dog? I also got her next three month dosage of Bravecto but I decided to try something I've heard others do to cut the cost in half. My griff weighs 45 pounds so I decided to get the dosage that is needed for a 90 pound dog and then cut the pill in half.

I realize that the pill doesn't have a split mark on it but they're soft and should be easy to cut with a sharp blade. Some people say what if the active ingredient isn't dispersed equally within the pill but I can't see why it wouldn't be. It's not like they inject each pill individually with the medicine.

Anybody here try cutting their Bravecto pills in half? I'd be interested in hearing your results if you do.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lyme Disease

Good move choosing Bravecto - have been using it for a few years now and have never had a tick problem with our mutts.
    Easy to use, doesn't kill the cat like some tick / flea stuff, lasts 3 months.
    Haven't thought of buying the bigger pills and cutting them but we do, on the Vet's instructions, cut in half a different pill for one of our mutts.
    Doubt if a Vet would prescribe that unless it was safe and efficient.
    Another med she takes in 100 mg. doses is available in 200 mg. pills and the local Pharmacy suggested we buy the 200 and cut in half, greatly reduces the overall cost as the 200's are only 25% more than the 100's and we save fees as we buy it every second month instead of every month. Again, doubt if the Pharmacist would suggest something that wouldn't work.
    Our Vet in Hope also suggested we get our meds from the Pharmacy, considerably cheaper than the Vet can get it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Good move choosing Bravecto - have been using it for a few years now and have never had a tick problem with our mutts.
    Easy to use, doesn't kill the cat like some tick / flea stuff, lasts 3 months.
    Haven't thought of buying the bigger pills and cutting them but we do, on the Vet's instructions, cut in half a different pill for one of our mutts.
    Doubt if a Vet would prescribe that unless it was safe and efficient.
    Another med she takes in 100 mg. doses is available in 200 mg. pills and the local Pharmacy suggested we buy the 200 and cut in half, greatly reduces the overall cost as the 200's are only 25% more than the 100's and we save fees as we buy it every second month instead of every month. Again, doubt if the Pharmacist would suggest something that wouldn't work.
    Our Vet in Hope also suggested we get our meds from the Pharmacy, considerably cheaper than the Vet can get it for.
    I've been happy with the Bravecto, as well. Been using it for a year now on Sako since you have to wait until your pup is at least six months old. I haven't found any ticks on Sako yet and she's out in the field a lot and a good part of it is in the interior/Okanagan area. Do have many ticks around Tulameen, John, because I really haven't seen hardly a one. In fact, the last time I saw a bunch of them was on a WT buck I shot last fall.

I'll try splitting the dosage this time to see how well the dog responds to them. It basically cut the $60 pill I used to buy right in half in terms of price.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Been using Bravecto on my 100+ lb lab now for 5+ years with absolutely no side effects,
    and just as important, no fleas or ticks. He also roams around in the bush both in the local
    hills around the Fraser Valley and all over the Interior and Okanagan.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I've been happy with the Bravecto, as well. Been using it for a year now on Sako since you have to wait until your pup is at least six months old. I haven't found any ticks on Sako yet and she's out in the field a lot and a good part of it is in the interior/Okanagan area. Do have many ticks around Tulameen, John, because I really haven't seen hardly a one. In fact, the last time I saw a bunch of them was on a WT buck I shot last fall.

I'll try splitting the dosage this time to see how well the dog responds to them. It basically cut the $60 pill I used to buy right in half in terms of price.
    Brent, we have tons of ticks both in Tulameen and Hope but to date, the dogs have never had one on them, at least what we could find. We have found one in our Tulameen bed ( gross ) and one in the bathroom last trip up but that's basically it in 15 years of dogs in the woods. A month or so ago a fellow HBCer shot a bear in the Tulameen area and it had lots of ticks on.
    Re Bravecto, with our old mutt having renal problems ( one kidney removed due to cancer ) and other problems, we had to be very careful with side effects and such. The Vet suggested Bravecto as being one of the "safer" products out there. Daughter, who is in "Animal Sciences" after a stint at a Vet's Office looked into Bravecto for her aging and problematical Lab and went with Bravecto due to the efficacy and minimal down sides. She looked at some of the clinical info available and figured it was a good choice.