Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leh bison december 2018

Leh bison december 2018

Hey everyone!

I was super super super! LUCKY!
    to draw a LEH for Bison in region 7:57 zone B.
    For December 6th-20th, up by Pink Mountain.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience hunting up in this area,
    and at this time of year? And if so!

Where did they stay? or did they camp?
    I used to work up there, and I do remember it being pretty damn cold at this time! hahaha

Also what is a recommend fire arm for this hunt, the biggest rifle I currently own is a 30-06.
    And I'm sure I am going to have to get something bigger, for this size of animal.

And info, and recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,
    Hope you have a super wicked day!!

Thanks,
    Brandon Roth
    Last edited by B-Roth; 06-22-2018 at 01:11 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Leh bison december 2018

30-06 with a premium 180gr bullet is plenty. Good luck on your hunt
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

There’s lots of good info in posts from previous years, I’m far from an expert on the search feature, but try it and you should find lots of info.
    Hope for enough snow to use snowmobiles, the hunting can be tough, but it’s spectacular country and you’ll have lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    30-06 with a premium 180gr bullet is plenty. Good luck on your hunt
    Like he said, your 06 with a good bullet will work fine. But if you’re looking for an excuse to buy another rifle.......

180gr Hornady superformance sst. Big buff down. Have a great time, and good luck.

SST is not great choice for bison at closer distances. You will want a premium bonded bullet, such as a nosler accubond, or a federal premium trophy bonded tip, or a mono-metal bullet such as a barnes TTSX or hornady GMX. Shot placement is key, bison are large but their vitals are not.
    Only shoot small bulls near the road

Quote Originally Posted by Goretzky View Post
    SST is not great choice for bison at closer distances. You will want a premium bonded bullet, such as a nosler accubond, or a federal premium trophy bonded tip, or a mono-metal bullet such as a barnes TTSX or hornady GMX. Shot placement is key, bison are large but their vitals are not.
    Just curious why and sst wouldn't be a good choice? I've been using 165s for years, shot alot of animals with them including a couple nice moose at close range and they and they didn't go far.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    Just curious why and sst wouldn't be a good choice? I've been using 165s for years, shot alot of animals with them including a couple nice moose at close range and they and they didn't go far.
    SST have a thinner jacket, and non bonded core, meaning more shrapnel, and less weight retention than some other premium bullets. They will kill no doubt, but bison have thick hides, big bones, and lots of long hair in the winter time. Just saying there are better options out there.
    Last edited by JoeSixPack; 11-24-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Only shoot small bulls near the road

I used to work up there too- couple years ago. Yea it’s cold. If you don’t have access to a wall tent with a stove I remember one inn up there- buffalo inn.

Stay at pink mtn log cabins, call Vern. Take lots of fuel and dress in warm layers. I saw -40 in there 2 years ago last week of dec. have fun, it’s a great experience. Take reliable sleds!