Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oldest bear ever shot on video! (Boone & Crockett)

Re: Oldest bear ever shot on video! (Boone & Crockett)

thanks for sharing..the video..

Quote Originally Posted by rattling_junkie View Post
    I need to clarify a few things about hide and meat care. We eat all the bears we shoot and have never had a hide slip when leaving a bear overnight. We hunt for big bears, but love to eat them too! In my 8 years of guiding bear hunters in Manitoba ALL the meat has been utilized even when bears are left over night. Obviously if we can get them out sooner then we do that, but we have had absolutely no issues leaving bears overnight, they are very thin skinned animals and cool quickly unlike a moose or elk.
    Thin skinned ? Cool quickly ? You must be shooting some pretty small bears out there, jeesh. The last thing I'd say a bear does is cool quickly.. I'll stick with my fresh meat that isn't left to fester over night. :/

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Thin skinned ? Cool quickly ? You must be shooting some pretty small bears out there, jeesh. The last thing I'd say a bear does is cool quickly.. I'll stick with my fresh meat that isn't left to fester over night. :/
    Do what you want man, I'm not trying to change how you take care of your meat. I guess 7' and 8' black bears are small?

Send a pre-molar (if he still has one) in to your Wildlife Branch for ageing. The tooth is cut with a diamond wheel and aged using a microscope of some type.
    Dump bears tend to have bad teeth ..... most times.
    To each their own ...... personally, I wouldn't leave a game animal of any kind with hide on/ guts in.
    Nice bear ....

Not a dump bear, lives way too far from any dumps. It seems that the guys commenting have an issue with baiting. That's fine it's not for you, but having done it now for a few years, it's way too much fun to give it up. I will offer a free hunt to anyone who wants to come down to Manitoba. But you must use a bow, and I get to film it and your reaction of the experience. I am serious about this, and I can guarantee you the meat will be great!

You guys will be happy that this bear was skinned and deboned immediately after the kill. Kinda hard not to when it drops 50 feet from the tree!

Rattling Junkie
    I have no problem with baiting black bears..

I have shot 9 bears with my bow and i am 33 I have no idea how many with the gun..

the tree fall video is insane.

what day should I book my flight?

Bear meat in my opinion is great put the biggest pain in the ass to handle as spoils fast and is a bitch to butcher.

umm i had bear jerky for breakfast today. from the big ass red boar i shot this year by my house. i also have 1 ham left from last years cow bear.

all joking aside i will come for the baiting experiance i have no problem getting bears.

Ps I am liking your videos but if you do honour your hunt we could have a pretty good debate on how to maintain meat quality.

Clean and Cool is number one Rule!!!! at least that's what my mamma taught me.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Ps I am liking your videos but if you do honour your hunt we could have a pretty good debate on how to maintain meat quality.

Clean and Cool is number one Rule!!!! at least that's what my mamma taught me.
    Exactly in a perfect world. When there are 20 bears walking around in the dark, it's not necessarily the smartest thing when you are by yourself. I've shot a bear in a cornfield, and I worked the next day. So, what did I do I skinned the thing out then and there with bunch of bears circling, actually it was kinda fun by myself. I have taken my fair share of bears and guided many more, and the standard practice is to leave them overnight. My stomach has always been full and never complained as a result. That is just real world, boots on the ground experience. I'm a bit older than you, but don't tell anyone that .

PS. I had clients skeptical about how the meat was going to be and they were shocked at how cool the bear was the next morning.

Just out of curiosity Do you at least gut them and open them up
    and what kind of temps are you hunting in