Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hunter becoming the hunted??

Re: Hunter becoming the hunted??

Betterofffishing has a good one. I'll wait a bit and see if he puts it in himself. If not I'll do it. Contains a very good lesson.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    You sure they weren't bunnies?
    They might have been, they were about a inch shorter then you. why to small for dogs.lol

was climbing down from a treestand after a long sit and halfway down looked up to see a big wolf staring at me no more than 60 yards away
    Last edited by bpeters; 03-19-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Which one? The most hair raising is owning 160 acres and walking to and from the deer blind every morning before daylight and going back out till after dark. It was a ground blind made up out of logs and sticks. I waited till dark and walked out of the bush the 200 yards to the house. I thought I heard something following me when I walked out. You know the hair on the back of your neck standing up because you can't see squat but you can hear it. Walk a bit faster and hit the door running. So the next morning I was a bit late getting going and when I walked back to my deer hunting blind about half way there I see something had walked in my tracks last night. No 2 somethings had walked in my tracks. They had swung by the blind and then followed my trail in the snow half way to the house. Turns out two cougars had followed me out of the bush but turned around and went back and checked out the blind where I was sitting and then wandered off. Never seen them or their trail again. Trappers moved in on and adjoining property and set up 100 snares for coyotes.
    Last edited by tigrr; 03-18-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I was hunting stones back in 2005. My partner decided to stay in camp that day as he had a set of horns in camp. I had just come down a steep scree slope and as working my way up a side valley when I glassed back to the top and saw what I first thought was a dark ram. When I looked closer it turned out to be a grizzly bear. He started down the slope and hit my tracks that were easily visible. His nose immediately went to the ground and without hesitation started to follow my tracks.
    I scampered up a steep rock knob hoping that if it did come to a shoot out it would buy me more time.
    As I got to the top up the knob a huge storm blew in with sideways rain so I just buried my head into my lap and hunkered down.
    After the brief storm blew through I waited and waited without seeing the bear. Eventually I figured that he must have headed down the side valley when he by the junction.....which was fine by me.

I continued on that day and eventually took a ram just before dark. I had to leave the ram where it was as I shot him from a sheer cliff and had to go waaaaay around to get to him. As I neared camp I could see a strange brown mound in the meadow just in front of our tent. It turned out that the bear decided to pay my partner a visit. My buddy had just woken up from an afternoon nap and was standing beside the tent waking up when he spotted a dark object across the meadow from camp. When he raised his binos he saw he bear standing on his hind legs staring at him. He quickly grabbed his rifle ( a single shot Ruger #1) from the tent and ran up a small hill right beside the tent. A quick scan and he could not see the bear but then suddenly it came busting out of the chest high buckbrush. A quick yell from my buddy only made the bear lock on to his location and it kicked into a full sprint! A quick warning shot had zero affect so the next one hit him square in the chest and sent the bear into a death spin.
    My buddy's nerves were so fried he emptied the celebratory rye that he had packed around for the previous ten days and there wasn't a single drop left for me.
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 03-19-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Many years ago I was hunting muleys on an open ridge and came across fresh boot prints in the 20 cm of new snow. In each print was a cougar track. The cat followed the hunter for a kilometer or so. Kinda gets you checking your backtrail a lot more
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

shot a blacky a number of years ago as it was just.getting dark!....ran into thick bush after the shot!..after waiting awhile i went in looking for him
    gun loaded and at the ready!...
    .....i was in about 30 yards and turned around and there it was about 3 feet BEHIND ME TO MY LEFT-- dead!!....if it was alive it would have had me!!...since then i make sure to REALLY LOOK around when going in! 😎
    45-70 Marlin GG--shooting 420/550 grain hardcast!
    30-06 Rem 700 --shooting 180/240 grainers!

I was bear hunting a corn field in grindrod. the land owner told us of a big blond bear that went down to the river every afternoon about 3 pm. one evening at last light I put a arrow throw a nice blacky. he ran throw a patch of tall grass towards the bush. not wanting to follow in the dark my partner and I agreed to come back in the morning.
    next morning we followed a good blood trail to the first tree. bear had lain down a big pool of blood but he has got up and walked off. more bloodtrail again he`s lain down but got up and walked off. again we come to a pool of blood. only this time theirs is no blood leaving I said to my partner what is going on ? he says look over here ! all that's left of my bear is the head. and some big piles of bear crap it was a long walk back to the truck with just our bows.
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

I was out in the late spring getting wildlife photos and headed back to my truck as it was getting pretty dusky, got within a hundred yards of the truck and realized there was a large black bear standing in the box of the truck. No firearm, no pepper spray, and my keys were under the back bumper. Decided to boldly march directly to the truck singing in a loud voice as I went. Started to feel a little queasy as I neared it since he still wasn't leaving and it was getting darker by the minute. Finally when I was 10 feet from the truck he jumped out on the other side and stood up to stare at me. I dropped down and managed to find the keys and get the door open. He still hadn't left, but at least now I felt safer. Got in and got the lights on and then saw he had knocked my mirrors off, big scratches in the hood. I drove off and left the music critic standing there.

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    0K Gatehouse let's hear about your creepier story !
    I've been waiting for Gatehouse's story for many years. (even before the pink too-too).
    I'm still waiting.
    When the Gentleman is ready, he will post.