Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter becoming the hunted??

Hunter becoming the hunted??

As the season approaches, our threads may be getting dull?? so thought I'd try this, ever have a time when hunting out there and had something trail you and scare the heck out of you? One time 4 or 5 years ago we were tracking a moose through some black spruce and we got a glimpse of him, BULL! then the son of a bi**h takes off as I step on a twig, he didn't take off far, so we regroup, tell my buddy to take the right and I'll take the left (coming into a clearing with some bushes in the middle) and we'll hook up in a mile or two, as we approach the end of the clearing theres an old seismic line and damn, fresh tracks everywhere! so thought I'd take a quick peek for a few minutes (raining) so the road drops a bit then theres a lake of some sort, probably from a beaver and some bushes around it so I'll just go down and take a quick peek, hear something but off in the distance, or maybey just hearing something?? so time to turn around and got 15 yards up the hill and holy crap, grizz tracks basically on top of mine, and what a feeling, jeeeesh, all the hair on you neck standing and your senses trying to sharpin but not get to the point of thinking your hearing something, safety comes off and have a 250grain ready, see his tracks only went to the ridge but looked like he went into the bush, but defineately close, so quietly but quickly climb back up a bit and double track to the point of where I came out and was quite anxious to find my buddy. Never seen it but was a tense moment.
    Seeing if anyone else had weird encounters??
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunter becoming the hunted??

had a cougar jump at me once he was 10 ft in the air and i emptied my clip on him had to finish him off under a tree he was sure squalling . I was bouncing about 2 ft off the ground while i started to reload .you don't have time to be scared
    holy underwear

I wasn't being hunted, but I did taste salt. When I was about 15 I was hunting with my .22 and spotted movement low to the ground just off a cut line in central Alberta, I stepped inside the bush and spotted a grouse blending in with his surroundings. I was about to get my first big game scare. It was when I fired the shot that killed the grouse that an enormous cow moose shook the ground around me and stormed off right beside me. I saw the little bird but was oblivious to the moose standing within yards of him. Scared me pretty good right at the moment I was happy to have spotted the little grouse.

I'll keep my font colour black for those of u who said my green was too hard to see with their aging eyes.

This is my story:
    I was a Brownie Leader in charge of 20 little girls and 6 volunteer ladies. We were at a camp in Sechelt and I wanted to take the girls on an exploration hike of the surrounding woods. I signed us up with the naturist who said it would be an easy treck for the girls. So armed with my airhorn(in case of emergency) and our snack packs we head in for our 4km (small) hike. Some of the girls had issues with hiking and some of ladies were not very stable walking so we decided to split the group in 2 - faster and more experienced with the naturist and the other half with me. We did our hike and everyone had a wonderful time - we pointed out all sorts of items we saw along the way as well as seeing small critters. When we head back to camp, I stopped in at the naturist building to sign us back in and discover my other group has not arrived back in - they were farther ahead of us so they should have checked in long before us - I sent the ladies and the girls with me back to camp and hightailed it back into the trail. I send up the emergency blow of the airhorn hoping to get an respnse back and heard nothing - I keep going farther in and after about 15 minutes of trying to locate them I disover something warm under my feet - I had stepped in a very warm pile of bear scat - just lovely as I looked up in the trail not 100 yards from me is a beautiful black bear eating salmon berries when all of a sudden his head bolts up and he grunts - I hear a snarl, and a low deep growl - I blow the airhorn at the bear because I remember being told loud noises can deter the critters - well mr bear took off and I turn to run the other direction - I ran a few minutes then discovered the bear was not coming back my direction - I blow the horn again hoping to hear from my group and still nothing - I happened to look down on the ground and discovered fresh animal tracks in the mud - they were not bear tracks or deer tracks (thank goodness for my husband teaching me about animal tracks) they were cougar tracks and they went as far as where the bear had been when I found it on the path - I took off out of the trail back to the camp to discover my entire 20 girls and 6 ladies were back at camp and group 1 had been back before us - the naturist forgot to sign them in - when I told them about what I saw in the woods our naturist had informed me "Oh yes, we have been trying to catch that COUGAR for a week now" -
    so I not only met the bear I had a feeling the cougar was very close by and there was me armed with a trail map and an airhorn

Unfortunately with a Brownie Camp carrying my rifle with me was not an option

Hope you enjoyed

Ali

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

I was following some couger tracks in the snow when a doe jumped out of the bushes in front of me. Made me jump.

I was out deer hunting one morning, turned around to look back up where I had just come and out of the corner of my eye caught some movement in the long grass about 15 feet away. He was crouched down, muscules rippling ready to pounce. My first thought was COOOL!!! a cougar, but then my senses kicked in and I decided I may only have one shot and felt a camera wasn't the one I should use. This was the result!

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

Good work the cat didn't have caveman for breakfast.

I was hunting a two year old problem bear last year on a friends land. This bear had little fear of humans and my friend wanted it gone because she had young kids. I bought a tag and decided to take care of the problem for them. The bear was hanging around the far end of one of thier fields so figured I would go out to the field, wait to see if someone would show before sundown. Well to get to this field you have to walk through a trail from the house to get there. I walked for a couple of minutes down this trail when guess who I ran into. The little bugger took off into the brush pretty darm fast and I couldn't get a good shot off. I figured the bear would double back in the brush to the field so that is where I was going to go and wait. I started down this trail when all the hairs on the back of my neck started to stand! (I actually pulled my head out of my ass.) I realized this little guy had turned the tables and was stalking me! I thought to myself S#!T moved myself to the biggest tree closest to me and placed my back to it. I got a good reality check when I noticed this black shadow moving around me. The only good shooting lane was to my right from where I had placed myself so I thought I would wait and hopefully this little blackie would cross it. (It really scared me to see how fast and quiet a bear can move through the bush, he was like a moving shadow) Well I was lucky cause the little guy crossed my line of fire just long enough to squeeze off a round. He dropped dead about 20 yards away. I learned a valueable lesson that day. I was thinking stupid because I was on his turf and how fast things can go wrong if you are not paying attention.
    Last edited by ALPINE; 08-30-2007 at 11:05 AM.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted,terminal disease"

It was one of those nice warm fall days, sun was shining....

I hiked up behind a clearcut, into the timber and sat down to eat my lunch, not far from several game trails..

I ate my lunch, and got a bit drowsy. Deer wouldn't be along for an hour or so, so I shifted down and laid back, to have a bit of a snooze. You know the kind...

As I was driftingoff I got this strange feeling I was being watched. I opened my eyes up, and in a tree rigth near me ...a cougar sitting, looking RIGHT at me!!

I grabbed for my rifle, he jumped from one tree to another, and then BAM he was on the ground and gone...

Freakiest thing was that he had sat and watched me eat my lunch!

Another time, I don't think I was being hunted, but it was far creepier than the cougar story...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Years ago my older brother and I flew into Cold Fish Lake before it was in the park. We built a cache high up in a tree as it's grizzly country. The next morning we awoke to a heavy dump of wet snow. We had taken a canoe in tied to the single otter's floats. We headed out to go check out Gladys Lake area. We cross the lake stach the canoe and start walking up hill in the direction we had to go. It became fairly open and we chugged along. Seeing no tracks of anything big. Then we hit a area of bush with a game/horse trail going through it so in we go. My brother looking & walking forward and me checking our backside. After about 10 minutes in we hear this noise. What the heck was that we both say. We carry on and hear it more and more, it's like heavy snarly breathing. Our guns are made ready. We think griz attack soon but from what direction and how many. We start back tracking down the trail and low and behold we come across a lone grizzly track right in footprints. He had circled around behind and walked up our backside for quite a while before going into the bush and trailing along right beside us. How close was he ..I think closer than we would have liked to have known at the time.