Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Week of July; Head South or Stay North?

1st Week of July; Head South or Stay North?

I live in Grande Prairie AB but grew up in Abbotsford, fishing the Thompson-Nicola stillwaters. I have around a week of vacation coming up, first week of July. I was planning to head down towards Hwy 24 or the Kamloops area again for some fly fishing, but with the rising costs of fuel and the heat this time of year I'm wondering if I'm better off staying up north and wandering over towards Chetwynd etc. I've never done much stillwater fishing north of PG, so it'd certainly be a new adventure.

Going to be travelling on my own, 4x4 pickup, Lowe 1240 with electric motor, tent camping. I prefer forest service sites to resorts ($$).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 1st Week of July; Head South or Stay North?

not many lakes around chetwynd....you could fish the peace lakes around there are shallow in my experiance..i would get a saltwater liscence for that week.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    not many lakes around chetwynd....you could fish the peace lakes around there are shallow in my experiance..i would get a saltwater liscence for that week.
    Saltwater's an even longer drive, and I don't have a boat capable of getting out on the chuck.

If I stay north, I'm willing to drive as far as Prince George. PG is about 2 hours closer than my originally planned location slightly north of Kamloops.

Lots of good lakes in the pine pass

Quote Originally Posted by S.W.A.T. View Post
    Lots of good lakes in the pine pass
    I did just notice that while flipping through a backroads book. Looks like lakes become more common towards Mackenzie and Macloud Lake. Any suggestions on smaller ones or a general area to focus on?

Lots of good lakes east of Cheywynd around Tumbler Ridge ..One Island lake..Boot lake ..North of Chetwynd .Stewart lake..In the Pine Pass ..Hart lake..All have very nice fish ..Rainbows and some have combination Eastern Brook and rainbows....Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Lots of good lakes east of Cheywynd around Tumbler Ridge ..One Island lake..Boot lake ..North of Chetwynd .Stewart lake..In the Pine Pass ..Hart lake..All have very nice fish ..Rainbows and some have combination Eastern Brook and rainbows....Dennis
    I fish the Tumbler area regularly. Looking to go a little farther out and away from weekend crowds. I'll look into Stewart and Hart lakes. Thanks!

It's worth the drive to the Cariboo. I just got back from Sheridan and the fishing was pretty good. The fish are in shallow now on the caddis hatch and it should be good for a while. Tons of other small lakes to check out up and down hwy 24. I'd get an outboard though. Big lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
    I did just notice that while flipping through a backroads book. Looks like lakes become more common towards Mackenzie and Macloud Lake. Any suggestions on smaller ones or a general area to focus on?
    There is one just north of macloud lake starts with a T I think. Good spot to camp there but it is right on the hwy. Don't think the macloud lake provincial site is open anymore. Also the lake by the store just north of powder king. Bear lake and summit as well. Crooked river is another one for a boat your size

I've always wanted to fish azouzetta, very scenic but haven't too much about the fishing there...maybe worth checking out on the drive through the pass

I've fished Tudyah a few times, I believe that is the lake swat is referring too, never camped at the prov park but there is a rec site off the finlay FSR, not far from the highway....lots of small rainbows and pike minnows, and found a few bull trout
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster