Thread: Bear had a body guard: A cow

Bear had a body guard: A cow

Friday evening at 8:00 I spotted a bear grazing ahead of me on a grassy deactivated road. I start stalking and just when I'm in a good spot to take aim a cow I hadn't seen walks out from behind some trees half way between me and the bear. She took exception to me and started a stampede of the 18 other cattle I also hadn't seen who were with her and the bear. Of course the bear joined the stampede.

They'd been happily dining together until I showed up and broke up the dinner party.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear had a body guard: A cow

I have seen a similar thing once cows were not bothered that the bruin was in there midst.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Lol hunting sure is never a guarantee for harvest is it? Never know what is going to f it up....

I guess explaining to the cows that it is an offense to interfere with a lawful hunt did not work?

I can positively state that I have never had a herd of cattle block me from an animal. I have had to wait patiently for them to let me pass on some roads in Region 5 though.

Maybe that bear has figured something out and upped his defensive game to a new level.

I was hiking in Princeton one time looking for a deer and noticed something white in the trees ahead of me, I took another half step towards it and had 10-12 cows stampede at me, definitely woke me up.

We don't have many cows grazing in the bush (or any?) around southwest Region 2 but I see them a lot around Region 3 and Region 5. Whenever I see cattle or cattle sign I usually look for another spot to hunt. It's burned me a couple of times. One year I see muleys all over a spot and the next year cattle everywhere... like dang I don't want to hunt around a bunch of cattle... probably not allowed or some cow or rancher is gonna kick my butt even if there is still plenty of deer and stuff around. I stop looking at that point. It just seems weird. I like seeing cattle in the bush though. It's foreign for me as a an LML'er. And those ranchers looking after them... drove passed a few bringing up hay and they give us 604's the stink-eye checking us out to make sure we are not up to no good (because a lot of people are probably up to no good) I appreciate that 100%. Tough job, big investment. Respect!! I'd give up a weekend hunt to work free for one of those guys just to learn a thing or two.

I remember somewhere around 100 mile seeing a bunch of cattle in a field off the highway and a blackie grazing along side them. I am sure they earn the herds trust for a little grazing but come fall before hibernation I suspect they opportunistically end the relationship lol ... "guess what guys... it's been fun grazing with ya'll but I got a taste for beef too!"
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-17-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Where's the video?

That is why we eat cows...........

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    That is why we eat cows...........
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a cow with a twitch?
    Beef jerky.

“I freed a thousand slaves and I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.”
    – Harriet Tubman