Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Introduing Cedarbraes Miss Buck Finn "AKA Jessie"

Re: Introduing Cedarbraes Miss Buck Finn "AKA Jessie"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    So we participated in our first hunt test this weekend. Was a huge learning experience and everyone that I interacted with was very helpful. Jessie ran hard and I would even go so far as to say with a bit of style.

She didn't drop a single bird and delivered all to me quickly and with purpose. I can't be happier with how things went. In the end she got a pass on both days. Now, onto basic handling.

Was nice to finally put a name to the face. Great job this weekend sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

So we participated in our first hunt test this weekend. Was a huge learning experience and everyone that I interacted with was very helpful. Jessie ran hard and I would even go so far as to say with a bit of style.

She didn't drop a single bird and delivered all to me quickly and with purpose. I can't be happier with how things went. In the end she got a pass on both days. Now, onto basic handling.

Good girl! Congratulations!

Cool Congrats to you both, will you take her chasing goats with you and grizzly if they ever open again (all game hunting partner) or is she
    strictly for birds

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Cool Congrats to you both, will you take her chasing goats with you and grizzly if they ever open again (all game hunting partner) or is she
    strictly for birds
    Might take her with on a week of deer hunting this year and see how she does.

So I've been working with Jessie on Back and over casts. She has picked up the back right and left rotation pretty well. Left and Right Over seemed to come easy for.

So a couple days ago I started combinations. First day went well, last night was a mess.

Not sure if she was distracted by something, but she looked confused, like I was trying to test her on something I'd never trained her on.

Anyhow, I stopped the combining casts and reverted back to simple back casts rotating the same direction. Gave her some praise, and got out of it. I could have attached a check cord and tried to push through it, but wasn't sure if that was the right approach?

And I didnt want to end the session on a bad note. Will back up a bit and try a few more days of practice before combining the casts.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-27-2019 at 08:56 AM.

what do you mean by combining ccasts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Sitting her in the apex of 3 bumpers and casting her
    to a different bumper from one cast to the next

Sitting her in the apex of 3 bumpers and casting her
    to a different bumper from one cast to the next
    Have you tried "Walking Baseball" with her? That's a good drill for teaching over.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Have you tried "Walking Baseball" with her? That's a good drill for teaching over.
    No, I haven't. Just following the basics right now. Did 2 sessions yesterday, just repeated the same cast about 7 times before switching to another. She knows back(left and right) rotation, left and right over. I think the other day when I gave her a left cast and she rotated left and went back, I said "no" and that confused her.

So I'm going to do a couple more days of repeating the same casts before I try mixing it again.

No, I haven't. Just following the basics right now. Did 2 sessions yesterday, just repeated the same cast about 7 times before switching to another. She knows back(left and right) rotation, left and right over. I think the other day when I gave her a left cast and she rotated left and went back, I said "no" and that confused her.

So I'm going to do a couple more days of repeating the same casts before I try mixing it again.
    What I'm finding with my young griff is that she does good straight away casts when on short grass when doing either overs or backs where she can see the bumpers or at least knows where they're at but when I've put a bumper in taller grass (up to the knees) and I stop her to give her a handling direction she doesn't go in a straight line,,,,it's more of a search using her nose in that general direction. She always finds the bumper but had she gone in a straight line I think she would have come up with it quicker. Not sure if it has something to do with her being a pointer and not a retriever.