Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Introduing Cedarbraes Miss Buck Finn "AKA Jessie"

Re: Introduing Cedarbraes Miss Buck Finn "AKA Jessie"

Awesome! It's nice when a plan comes together. In no time at all you'll have her knowing the difference between a red and a white when it's time to crack open another bottle and you don't want to leave the table.

IMG_1089 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

Jessie and I are through FF and working piles (force to pile, mini and 9 bumper). I think she is doing well and doesn't bumper shop. I can also see Jess is picking up on the "back" command. I keep her sitting on when she retrieves from the pile, move back about 15 feet and send her again on "back". She turns 180 and heads straight back to the pile. We are still running patterns during yard work and are about ready to start stretching it out a bit. So maybe after a week of work, we will be ready to start our basic handling.

We are also getting ready for our first hunt test. She does however still drop the bird when she exits the water, shakes, and returns with the bird. I think I need to set up right at water edge where I can be in direct control to get past that, and slowly work my line back further or introduce a light nic when she exits the water and give her a verbal hold.

Really cool thing is I can now see the potential of where we can actually go and what she is capable of. I have no doubt that come Oct, her first hunt will be something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Jessie and I are through FF and working piles (force to pile, mini and 9 bumper). I think she is doing well and doesn't bumper shop. I can also see Jess is picking up on the "back" command. I keep her sitting on when she retrieves from the pile, move back about 15 feet and send her again on "back". She turns 180 and heads straight back to the pile. We are still running patterns during yard work and are about ready to start stretching it out a bit. So maybe after a week of work, we will be ready to start our basic handling.

We are also getting ready for our first hunt test. She does however still drop the bird when she exits the water, shakes, and returns with the bird. I think I need to set up right at water edge where I can be in direct control to get past that, and slowly work my line back further or introduce a light nic when she exits the water and give her a verbal hold.

Really cool thing is I can now see the potential of where we can actually go and what she is capable of. I have no doubt that come Oct, her first hunt will be something I will remember for the rest of my life.
    Sounds awesome Ron! Been great following your journey! My advice is if she is dropping the bird/bumper it is being dis obedient to here not hold. When her first paw hits the ground coming out of the water give her a quick here NICK here. A few of those usually fixes that if you keep your standards high.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Sounds awesome Ron! Been great following your journey! My advice is if she is dropping the bird/bumper it is being dis obedient to here not hold. When her first paw hits the ground coming out of the water give her a quick here NICK here. A few of those usually fixes that if you keep your standards high.

Lorne
    Thanks for the tip Lorne.

We did some work this weekend and as expected, Jess would drop and shake.

So I followed up with several "probably 6" very short tosses with a bumper. Just far enough to get her swimming and as soon as she was exiting the water I gave her a low level "nic" and stern Here". And repeated until she returned to heal. I gave the command "drop"and she released the bumper, followed by a generous shake.

After this short session we did some land retrieves. After about 20 minutes we hit the water again, this time with a widgeon. She did three good retrieves and returned to heal and delivered to me before shaking.

Still need more work but a marked improvement.

I like hearing about Jessie's development. Lorne's advice is spot on. Sounds like you're on the right track.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I am enjoying reading your progress with your lab. Do you have to do any training to get the dog used to the noise of a gun shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrya View Post
    I am enjoying reading your progress with your lab. Do you have to do any training to get the dog used to the noise of a gun shot?
    I started last fall by bringing her to the marsh as guys were shooting birds. Nothing close, just wanted to introduce her to the sound and luckily she wasn't phased at all by the distant gunfire. Then she got more exposure to gunfire at club training days. We started by watching other dogs work from a distance. She could see the birds launch and hear the shots fire. I think she pretty quickly associate the shots with birds. I then used a starter pistol "pro 209" and gradually got closer.

I can now launch a bird with my homemade winger remotely and fire the pistol when the bird is mid arc. The gun doesn't even phase her now. If anything, she gets fired up as she thinks it means she is going to get a bird. She'll get a real shotgun very shortly. I dont anticipate and issue.

Same can be said for a duck call. She hears one and she's looking for a bird in flight.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-21-2019 at 11:43 AM.

How is Jesse doing Ron? I've yet to meet her! Has she been around any loud bang makers? When she is big enough maybe we can take her out to a permit field?
    There is almost nothing we can do without being extorted by various levels of government. If you still think you're free, you are deluding yourself. We are just free-ranging humans living on a tax farm.

"Wannabe hunters, green on the outside, red on the inside" - DANA

If you don't have a seat at the table then you are probably on the menu!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    How is Jesse doing Ron? I've yet to meet her! Has she been around any loud bang makers? When she is big enough maybe we can take her out to a permit field?
    Thanks for the offer Bill. That would be great. I want to make sure her first couple hunts are fun and as simple as possible and would prefer to leave my shotgun at home and just focus on handling Jess.

We will be doing our first Hunt Test in early June. Once that is behind us I am going to get her out and do some retrieves while firing an actual shotgun. The pro 209 pistol I've been using is quite loud and doesn't bother her in the least. I dont expect to have any issues with the shotgun.

My focus this summer is to work on basic handling and train more often in realistic set ups.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-22-2019 at 11:19 AM.