Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduing Cedarbraes Miss Buck Finn "AKA Jessie"

Re: Introduing Cedarbraes Miss Buck Finn "AKA Jessie"

Had Jess out today for her first hunt. To be honest, I've been training her for waterfowl but thought this would be a fun day. Her retrieves weren't that long, but real cool to see her retrieve her first two birds

Last edited by Ron.C; 09-14-2019 at 04:56 PM.

Right on. Good pictures.

Good job you guys, only a few more weeks till the big show opens.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Way to go on cross training her! Marshall did well with grouse, pheasants and waterfowl.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Was able to get Jessie out for a couple duck hunts. First 2 hunts were a bust. Blue sky, sunny and warm no birds flying. This afternoon was a different story.

Jessie's first ever duck hunting retrieve was a tough one, a crippled teal. In any case, I sent Jess and she chased it down. When She was nearly on top of it, the bird dove and so did Jess! She came up with the bird and returned to me with the live bird.

Her next couple birds were nice simple retrieves,and her last was a longer retrieve, but she did well. Was happy that she didn't break when I shot and everytime I'd say watch she would be scanning for birds. Can't explain the pride I feel for my pup right now. Heading back out tomorrow morning with a fellow HBCer.

Last edited by Ron.C; 11-16-2019 at 10:40 PM.

That's awesome Ron. Were you out with Dirt? I haven't hunted ducks since living on the Island. Sure miss it. Not even sure where to go around here.

Great experience for her. Success in chasing and catching wounded game is invaluable in the process. It will only get better from here.

I get the feeling of pride ....nothing like it. Congratulations !

One more thing......nice she didn't break but as time goes on and as excitement and anticipation builds....she will. Be well prepared for when it does happen and address accordingly.....If she breaks and is rewarded with a retrieve it will make the re-steadinging process that much more difficult. Nip it in the bud and you will both be happier than trying to fix it later.

Again...congratulations.
    Last edited by labguy; 11-17-2019 at 05:56 AM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Congrads on the sucdessful training...when Ebony retrieves grouse you cant get the smile off her..our faces for the next 2 days.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Steven

Hey Mike, good to hear from ya...no Dirt is at sea.

Labguy, thanks for the tip. I will definitely watch for her to eventually break and wont reward her with the retreive when she does. I was out with a fellow HBCer this morning and was able to pay more attention to handling Jess. Im getting really lucky so far as she is staying quite steady. Jess got a couple more birds. Another cripple to start the day and her first blind. Blind dropped to our left and slightly behind in some tall grass at about 40 yards. Sent Jess on "dead bird... BACK", whistle stopped her as she was a bit off line and gave her a left over cast. She found the bird pretty quick. Was really cool.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-17-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Sounds like she is well on the way to being a solid, reliable hunting companion.

Once you start hunting with other dogs/people and there are multiple guns and birds falling and other dogs retrieving/breaking is likely when Jessie will decide it's time to go on her own. This will be your golden opportunity to insure that she understands that "sit" means sit until told otherwise.

Once this standard has been ensconced firmly in her brain will be the beginning of a lifetime of great days afield for both of you.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"