Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting Bears

Re: Hunting Bears

Bear is up there with one of the tastiest meats in my opinion. I find it mild and moist and it cooks a lot nice than deer. I have heard people say bear meat is strong or smells but I have found the complete opposite. Even rendering the fat produced no smell and the lard was pretty much odorless. I have one tag saved for a nice fall bear.

I got to take part in 4 successful bear hunts this season. Never had a better season. Got one myself and helped my friends get three.

I have tried bear meat cooked in a bunch of different ways over the years, roasts, sausages, hamburger, jerky, etc.
    I can't eat bear meat, even at gunpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
    I have tried bear meat cooked in a bunch of different ways over the years, roasts, sausages, hamburger, jerky, etc.
    I can't eat bear meat, even at gunpoint.
    Something tells me my reverse seared (in garlic butter of course) bear chops or bourbon BBQ pulled bear might just change your mind...but hey, some people don't like bacon too right?

--- I heard from expert wild animal butchers and sausage makers, bear meat makes the best sausage, no doubt in their minds or taste buds.
    Jel -- Hey butchers know bo -- some bear sausage coming soon to a diner near you folks -

I managed two bears for the freezer this spring, my only regret is I can't take one in fall now. I've made some great burgers, shepherd's pie and pulled bear. I really enjoy bear with a blueberry bourbon sauce. Of the numerous guests I've had for dinner, not one has left disappointed.

Due to events beyond my control it has now become most unlikely that I will be Hunting in Canada anywhere and BC in particular until Winter '18... So snowshoe hare; yotes, wildcat(s) and schege C schtuff like Squirrel. The current climate in BC is very anti so who knows if anyone else will be, either. Everything could get banned just like Griz was, by fiat.

Just lasted night I served up some bear steaks on the new pellet grill. Wife says she likes bear more than deer.

Win!