Thread: Moving, what is the hunting like around Hope?

Moving, what is the hunting like around Hope?

Hello all! I am moving this summer to the Hope BC area. I have been lucky to live in many communities in B.C. but have limited experience hunting this close to the lower mainland. Being this close to such heavily populated areas, what is the hunting like in the area? I’m not looking for your hot spot, just a general idea of the species and availablility within 30-45 minutes of town. I enjoy small game, large game (Caribou, deer, elk, moose) birds and waterfowl. The majority of my hunting has been in the southern interior of BC and in Nunavut. I’m not used to hunting with crowds of people though, the thought of which makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moving, what is the hunting like around Hope?

If you're willing to hike a hour or more in steep, wet, difficult terrain you will be rewarded with good blacktail hunting that's for sure.

If you are willing to hike you can hunt by yourself all day. You don’t have to hike very far. It’s not the East Koots but there is some good hunting to be had.

Waterfowl can be good, black bear ok, and blacktail if you scout hard enough can be good. Blacktail is not always about how far you hike either. Most find blacktail tough

Outside of waterfowl you will find the hunting sucks compared to the places you have lived

I left the lower mainland and would never move back personally

Spring bears are easy shooting in Region 2. Between the last week of April and June, every day we are out we have at least one decent shooting opportunity.

You will find grouse on a fairly regular basis as well. I can't shoot a blacktail to safe my life (even though they taunt me on my cameras) but I usually come home with a couple grouse from when I check the older side roads on my way home from my failed blacktail hunts. Unless you are looking for them specifically and spending lots of time, you will rarely get a bag limit. I am happy when I get one or two on my drive home. 3 is a great day.

But yeah... those blacktails... they are fun to hunt, but if you are into shooting deer, it's best to hit the highway for an hour or two. If you are up for a challenge and you enjoy pain BT's are great fun.

And the woods aren't too crowded. TBH I have spent hundreds of days in the Region 2 timber and have never run into another person, even though the FSR's are as busy as highways which you will probably dislike as much as I do.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 06-15-2018 at 04:30 PM.

If I lived in hope I’d be driving a couple hours to better hunting