Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canned Smoked Kokanee

Re: Canned Smoked Kokanee

20 fish into the smoker
    Resident Hunter - Team 45/70 Member #680

Ended up with 19 half pint jars. Must say this stuff is scary good...

I think this just inspired me to ice fish every weekend next winter. A nice sandwich to eat after a long hike up the mountain.

Had to beat the kid off them, he has eaten 3 jars already 2 with cheese and crackers and 1 in a Kokanee cream cheese spread with his bagels, lol.. Guess i better keep fishing...

^^^^looks great mmmmmmm....

Looks amazing, i got into canning last season with bear meat and my son ate a 1/2 pint everyday after school..ate 1/3 bear like that...cant wait to try fish...we eat my bro in laws kokanne raw after being in the freezer for 6 months..tastes like mini sockeye sashimi
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

ElecricDyck sounds interesting the sashimi, have you ever tried Swedish Gravlax - cold cured kokanee salmon?

No I've never tried it but I've been interested..I've had it at a restaurant it was amazing on crackers..I need to go catch some fish!
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Going to try this:

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon whole white peppercorn
    • 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
    • 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    • 2 tablespoons sea salt
    • 2 teaspoons sugar
    • 2 half pound kokanee fillets
    • 1 cup chopped fresh dill

Heat all peppercorns and coriander seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat until spices are fragrant and seeds jump slightly, shaking skillet frequently, about 2 minutes. Crush spices in mortar and pestle or place in a sealed envelope within a second sealed envelope and crush with a mallet or hammer. Transfer spices to small bowl. Mix in salt and sugar. Divide seasoning mixture, allocating one-half for each fillet. Divide dill, allocating one-half for each fillet.

For each fillet, poke 12 -18 small holes through the skin of a fillet. Rub 1/3 of the divided spice mixture over skin side. Sprinkle 1/3 of the divided dill on plastic wrap and place salmon skin side down on the dill. Rub 2/3 of the divided spice mixture into top of salmon. Press 2/3 of divided dill onto the salmon. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly into fish. Fold the wrap over the shoulder of the fillet, sealing the top. Leave the tail end of the wrap open so water can drain out. Repeat for the next fillet. Place fillets in a non-reactive baking dish and cover with a plate or cutting board. A second layer of fillets can be placed on the cutting board and covered with yet another plate or cutting board. Place something quite heavy to press down the fillets, such as bricks, rocks, cans or bags of Morton Sugar Cure (we use for smoking salmon). Place in refrigerator for 2 -3 days (we do 3 days), with baking dish elevated on shoulder end to facilitate draining. Drain water periodically, beginning a few hours after refrigerating.

Scrape spices and dill off both sides of salmon; some of the spice mixture will remain.

Cheers..

Going to try this:

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon whole white peppercorn
    • 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
    • 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    • 2 tablespoons sea salt
    • 2 teaspoons sugar
    • 2 half pound kokanee fillets
    • 1 cup chopped fresh dill

Heat all peppercorns and coriander seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat until spices are fragrant and seeds jump slightly, shaking skillet frequently, about 2 minutes. Crush spices in mortar and pestle or place in a sealed envelope within a second sealed envelope and crush with a mallet or hammer. Transfer spices to small bowl. Mix in salt and sugar. Divide seasoning mixture, allocating one-half for each fillet. Divide dill, allocating one-half for each fillet.

For each fillet, poke 12 -18 small holes through the skin of a fillet. Rub 1/3 of the divided spice mixture over skin side. Sprinkle 1/3 of the divided dill on plastic wrap and place salmon skin side down on the dill. Rub 2/3 of the divided spice mixture into top of salmon. Press 2/3 of divided dill onto the salmon. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing directly into fish. Fold the wrap over the shoulder of the fillet, sealing the top. Leave the tail end of the wrap open so water can drain out. Repeat for the next fillet. Place fillets in a non-reactive baking dish and cover with a plate or cutting board. A second layer of fillets can be placed on the cutting board and covered with yet another plate or cutting board. Place something quite heavy to press down the fillets, such as bricks, rocks, cans or bags of Morton Sugar Cure (we use for smoking salmon). Place in refrigerator for 2 -3 days (we do 3 days), with baking dish elevated on shoulder end to facilitate draining. Drain water periodically, beginning a few hours after refrigerating.

Scrape spices and dill off both sides of salmon; some of the spice mixture will remain.

Cheers..