Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned Smoked Kokanee

Canned Smoked Kokanee

So the Mom Inlaw gave me her canner, a big All American 930 canner, this is a big boy, takes 2 men and a baby to lift it. Anyways its time to smoke and can some of the Kok's that i have been collecting latlely. So I have been googling all sorts of receipts online, but I am asking you guys if there are any tips or tricks you know of that I should try/follow? Thanks in advance..
    Twanger
    Resident Hunter - Team 45/70 Member #680

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canned Smoked Kokanee

No recipes to offer. But last year I canned raw sockeye with one piece of smoked sockeye in the middle of the jar. Great for making cream cheese dips and sandwiches. Needless to say they disappeared fast this winter. I highly suggest it!

Haven't done it in a while but add a teaspoon of pickling salt and a tablespoon of vinegar to a pint jar, cook for 90 minutes at 12 lbs. But I think cooking time or pressure depends on your elevation. should taste just like anything you buy.

I can smoked salmon lots but I dont fully smoke to dry, I like it best to just add flavour of the smoke so I only smoke about 1/3 of the time I normally when fresh smoked and then stuff jars and can the way a pressure canner is designed. The brine already has enough salt so I don't add any but do add a teaspoon of vinegar if I don't use boneless fish. If you dont have the manual for time and pressure try googling as their both important and the pressure is altitude sensitive. Mine is 100 mins at 11 lbs where I live.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I can smoked salmon so I'm sure it's almost the same . I lightly smoke the salmon . I don't brine the salmon . Make sure you don't smoke to long as you want all the juice going into the jar . Then add add a tsp of salt . You can also put in some brown sugar ,pepper, etc . Play around with some flavours . Make sure the rims of your jars are super clean or else the jars won't seal .

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    No recipes to offer. But last year I canned raw sockeye with one piece of smoked sockeye in the middle of the jar. Great for making cream cheese dips and sandwiches. Needless to say they disappeared fast this winter. I highly suggest it!
    I've done that as well, works great. Less work too, than having to smoke the entire batch that you are canning.

I can smoke a lot..... I have a Bradley and that changes things a bit...
    I brine with 1 bag Demerara sugar to slightly less that a cup of pickling salt.. brine 24 hours and flip every 12....... Brine time for you would be way less.. I am doing salmon. its a lot thicker.
    rinse off excess brine. I do not air dry the fish I can..... if I was just smoking it I would dry it for another 24......
    I unplug the heater portion of my smoker .....
    Smoke 2 hours...... if I was hot smoking ot eat I would do 4 hours...
    then can at 11 lbs for 90min... just like BTF... only he said 12lbs....

my wife uses it as salad toppings ...

835 this is exactly what I was going to try.. Something nice and easy, lol, Might play around with a few jars, add some Jalepeno, Garlic, etc. I got this recipe off Kokanee Fishing Forum, might try this one next..

1 1/2 quart of water
    1/2 cup Kosher salt
    3/4 cup dark honey
    1/2 cup medium to dark Rum
    1/4 lemon juice
    10-12 whole cloves (crushed)
    10-12 allspice berries (crushed)
    2 large bay leaf (crumbled)
    Chill the brine before adding fillets.

Brined the fillets (totally covered) for minimum of 24-36 hours.
    Rinse lightly and pat dry lightly.
    Let sit skin side down for 1 hour.
    Smoked the fillets with a 50-50 mix of apple & pecan wood @ 170 to 180 F.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    I can smoke a lot..... I have a Bradley and that changes things a bit...
    I brine with 1 bag Demerara sugar to slightly less that a cup of pickling salt.. brine 24 hours and flip every 12....... Brine time for you would be way less.. I am doing salmon. its a lot thicker.
    rinse off excess brine. I do not air dry the fish I can..... if I was just smoking it I would dry it for another 24......
    I unplug the heater portion of my smoker .....
    Smoke 2 hours...... if I was hot smoking ot eat I would do 4 hours...
    then can at 11 lbs for 90min... just like BTF... only he said 12lbs....

my wife uses it as salad toppings ...
    Resident Hunter - Team 45/70 Member #680

it is easy and my wife loves it.....
    what you need to remember with smoked and canned is the cooking process happens in the can. there is zero requirement for heat.... infact heat it bad in the smoking process... you want the moisture to stay in the fish for the canning process...
    Well I do anyway! lol I don't like dry fish.. I like candied salmon.. but that's different... canning candied salmon would be bad.........

bring them too my house i will do it for you.