Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dehydrating meals

Re: Dehydrating meals

I did some sliced ham up in the dehydrator too. It turned out pretty chewy and more like jerky. It tasted good, just a bit of work to get through.

I also buy those dehydrated hashbrowns from Costco. They come in 8 or 10 packs in little milk carton type boxes.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Use my Excalibur a lot. Meals with quinoa work well; the quinoa rehydrates really well.

I dehydrate most of my hunting meals. I do meals like chilli were I cook the meal first and then dehydrate and also where I dehydrate the ingredients separately and then combine. Lots of recipes on backpacker websites. I have never made a meal that tasted like ass. If your meals taste like ass it might be time for different spices. Lol

Last year I dehydrated all the meals for a two guy trip. As said the backpacking chef site is a great help. https://www.amazon.ca/Hoosier-Hill-F...powdered+cream. Great for beef stroganoff, indian curry, pastas and whatnot and in coffee in the afternoon with a bit of booze.

I've had allot of success dehydrating my own meals for hunting trips. Planning on really dialing in the process this upcoming season. I'm a chef by trade and have access to a commercial kitchen but similar results should be attainable at home with a few pieces of equipment and some work. PM me if anybody is interested in my method and I'd be happy to discuss

Thanks,
    Hunter Chef

Any recommendations for a food dehydrators? this thread is making we want to get one haha

Look for Joe Robinet on youtube. He has a video of dehydrating spaghetti bolognese.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I have an American Harvest...circular. Better air flow. I did try a square type and the outcome was not good.

Many many hours on mine and still going strong.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Carrollizer View Post
    Any recommendations for a food dehydrators? this thread is making we want to get one haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    I have an American Harvest...circular. Better air flow. I did try a square type and the outcome was not good.

Many many hours on mine and still going strong.

I’ve had exactly the opposite experience with my Excalibur in comparison to a round cabelas dehydrator.

The Excalibur ones come on sale through Amazon occasionally.

I’ve done a tonne of jerky, fruit/veggies, and fruit leathers.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

I use the Knorr soups add extra noodles and some dried vension, the sidekick meals and add extra pasta. Be innovative there is lots of good things in the grocery stores, just read the instructions and figure it out. Those Mountain house taste like shit and have no nutritional value. There is loads of food in the grocery stores that is inexpensive and does not take a lot of work.