Thread: First Nations netting Fraser river Chinook to extinction

First Nations netting Fraser river Chinook to extinction

DFO was supposed to be trying to protect our Fraser Chinook and sockeye...instead they have given them more LEGAL openings this year than in a while. Keep in mind this is only the legal net fisheries I am posting...this does not include the rampant poaching with drift and set nets at night!!
    The Fraser river has dropped almost 3 meters in the last few weeks creating some of the best netting conditions you could ask for! Low water and no debris = the chance of chinook not encountering a gillnet between Tswassen and Prince George almost impossible!
    Here are the openings since March for the lower Fraser river...you have to scroll down to see the current opening.
    http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fr..._Previous.html

Here are the openings for the mid and upper Fraser...the 7 day opening from Sawmill creek to Texas creek will be an absolute bloodbath as the low water and choke points will get every Chinook rounding the corners and s bends!
    http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/f...nTimes-eng.htm

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Nations netting Fraser river Chinook to extinction

I'm thinking the only solution to how shitty this province is ran is to move to the Yukon or NWT. The government here panders to minorities like it's noones business.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    I'm thinking the only solution to how shitty this province is ran is to move to the Yukon or NWT. The government here panders to minorities like it's noones business.
    I have to agree and not only Provincially but even worse Federally, I have never seen politics in such turmoil with lack of Leadership or direction, on top of that the Nitwit to the South, Between NDP/GRNs-Trudeau-Trump its like the Perfect Storm of Idiocy
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Fishery Notice
    "The
    total catch for the period of this update (May 6 to June 2) was one (1)
    Chinook. Based on this input, the current predicted return to the mouth of the
    Fraser for the Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook aggregates ranges
    from 19,000 to 47,000 Chinook (median value of 29,580).

The final in-season update is planned for June 18."

Early prediction based on catching ONE fish?

"
    the Department does not
    plan to adjust management actions for Fraser River Spring and Summer 5-2
    Chinook fisheries in-season and additional conservation actions are planned to
    achieve the Department's conservation objective to reduce exploitation by 25%-
    35% on Fraser Chinook stocks for the 2018 season"
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Albion is useless....they should be going by FN catches upstream on what is actually going on.
    Last edited by tubby; 06-13-2018 at 08:12 PM.

guest Guest

Mother Earths Keepers my backside.

craigslist Belingham....... Fresh King Salmon from Fraser River BC......5$ a lb.

^^^^i agree....their ancestors would be disgusted with how the majority of the modern FN's handle fish and wildlife...