Thread: Sako's first blind retrieve (on land)

Sako's first blind retrieve (on land)

It's been 12 days since Sako was spayed. She got a little off leash time for the first time yesterday afternoon and looked like she was back to her old self but I kept her minutes down just the same.

This evening I decided to try this guy's method from the Hunting Wirehaired Pointing Griffons website of teaching a dog to do a blind retrieve by setting up a bucket to use as a visual at the end of a soccer field. I left Sako in the truck while I set it up. I put her on the place board and faced her in the right direction.

I thought she did quite well for her first time. I used the place board since we haven't done any serious retrieval work for the last while what with all the fly fishing I've been doing the last month with her, not to mention Sako being laid up due to her spaying operation. I think the board keeps her from delaying the retrieve when she gets back to me. I'm thinking I may put her in a NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) test this summer just to see how she does and to see other dogs at work but the most important thing is getting her ready for this coming season of bird hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KMX04w7Vuw

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sako's first blind retrieve (on land)

Nice work Brent way to go.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.