Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Who's had animal problems in camp?

Re: Who's had animal problems in camp?

Was camping in a forestry campsite a while ago and left a bottle of Baileys on the table for morning coffee reinforcement. A couple of really drunk yahoos moved in next to me one day and came over to borrow a Saskatchewan spanner, which I lent them and they returned. The next morning I was heading out fishing when one of them asked if they could use the wrench again as they were leaving. I said “sure” just leave it on the table when you are done with it. When I returned from fishing I noticed the wrench was there but the Baileys had been replaced by a half bottle of rye.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Time is the fire in which we all burn

Quote Originally Posted by panhead View Post
    When I returned from fishing I noticed the wrench was there but the Baileys had been replaced by a half bottle of rye.
    Sounds like a good trade to me.

some rodent ate all the cork off my fishing rod while camping at a lake. grizzly once destroyed our sheep spike camp in spatsizi, thankfully we slept in sleeping bags on shale up on the mountain that night.

A few run in’s, but have never had a problem. Except one time, frigin ground squirrel robbed my last pack of captain blacks, 2 days before the plane picked us up. If ida known which one it was, we woulda been eating ground squirrel that night.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    A few run in’s, but have never had a problem. Except one time, frigin ground squirrel robbed my last pack of captain blacks, 2 days before the plane picked us up. If ida known which one it was, we woulda been eating ground squirrel that night.
    That sucks, captain blacks are a staple in our hunting camp. I’d be choked.

A bunch of cows wandering through camp about an hour after falling asleep in the tent trailer. Funny what that sounds like when you're half asleep after a night of beers by the fire!

Besides that mostly rodents...

One of my first solo hiking trips many moons ago. A couple of mice outside my tent in the middle of the night woke me up thinking I was surrounded by hungry bears.. (Bought my Defender after that trip )

Pack rat around the engine of the jeep. It was like my dog was on coke for two days until I finally nailed that f**cker!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    That sucks, captain blacks are a staple in our hunting camp. I’d be choked.
    The captains weren’t the only thing they got into, luckily we still had a couple of these chilling in the lake lol. Sorry bout the link, I’m not around my PC to post the actual photo.

https://imgur.com/a/ACaQsBk

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Wasn't a hunting camp, but I had a large pack of wolves pick a little meadow right beside
    my tent to hold a singalong for at least an hour. The constant din was deafening at times.
    I was up in the Cascades along the Alaskan Hwy on a bicycle tour in June, about the same time
    as a lot of grizzles start wandering around after hibernation, so although I didn't think they were
    a real threat to me, I was already feeling a little vulnerable in my wee 2 man piece of thin nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Fishin_ View Post
    Not in camp but quite the encounter, had a black bear come up from behind us while fishing for coho on the island. We had 4 beauties in a rock well by shore. This is normal for this area and usually a bit of yelling or waving your arms will run them off, not this one. No matter what we did he wouldn't leave. Shot bear bangers at him, threw rocks, yelling, everything we did would not deter this bear. He laid down and ate the bellies and heads off all 4 coho while we stood pinned waist deep in the river as the only way back to shore was to wade within inches of him.

Half hour in and he decided to lay back down and nap, after a bit we didn't know what to do. Shot our last bear banger and basically bounced it off his head. He got up and gave a nasty look at us and started popping his jaws. Buddy loaded a flare (all we had left) and shot it at him right, right as it went off he turned and we watched the flare stick him in the a** cheek. Took off running and never did see him again that trip.

Fast forward to the next years fishing trip. Heading down to the same slot and we joked about the bear from the year before. Mid morning and we see another coming up the shoreline towards us, again normal for this area and see about 4-6 per day when fishing. Just give them their space and let them pass and never had an issue. As he walked by he stopped and sat down by our bags on shore. Great we thought... better not be the same bear ! this time we had no fish on shore and he moved along after a few minutes. Once he was down river a bit buddy says "look, there is a big bald spot on that bears ass", same right cheek where we saw the flare stick into the one the year before.

Had a bull moose come into our camp a few years back in region 5. It was around 11 and we were just about to head to bed. Happened to look up before heading to the tent and seen the silhouette of a big figure standing just at the edge of camp, watched him take another step, look up and see our fire. Turned around and took off like a bat outta hell. Crashing and smashing through the forest like a monster truck. Next morning spent all day hunting around camp, no moose to be found..... lol

LATEST
    East coast bear attacks canoeist camp while sleeping in tents –bites woman creating a serious medical emergency. Her husband smashed the bear with a log but the bear stayed in the vicinity.
    Later they tried bear bangers but had no success forcing them to move asap.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...rned-1.5233238

Lesson learned –carry a weapon –have an electric fence surround the tent/s.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I've been "attacked" by a grouse protecting her chicks while I was shore fishing. It was pretty funny to have this bird beating it's wings at my feet.

Another time I had put out deer feed (legal when I lived in ON), left the tailgate down and the tonneau folded back just in case a bear came by. A bear did indeed come by, maybe it was upset by not finding the food in the truck, so it decided to tear the tonneau apart.

I took my atv back into the mountains looking for a caribou last year when a marmot decided to chew on my diff vent tubes as I was dozing off to sleep. It ran off after I threw a couple rocks at it.
    Last edited by MDR; 08-03-2019 at 12:33 PM.