Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's had animal problems in camp?

Re: Who's had animal problems in camp?

The only encounter we ever had with a cougar was while camping north of Gang. The big cat loved the smell of fried smoked pork chops & approached the camper within 20 to 30 feet. A double barreled 12 g shotgun blast above its head immediately changed its mind never to be seen or heard again.

Had a wolverine approach our tents in the Yukon in 1965 late at night & was finally shot.

Had this only happen once
    See POST#22

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ight=pack+rats
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

We had some mice in our hunting camp last fall. We put out a five gallon beer can trap out and it took care of the lot of them in one night
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Not my story, but my youngst brother's truck broke down 15 miles in the wilderness from
    his camp, and as the truck was at quite an angle and it was a nice autumn evening with a
    full moon, he spread his sleeping bag out by some big trees. He was alone and even though
    he worked as a logger and rancher, was nervous about being by himself out there at night.
    After falling asleep with his roaded rifle right beside him, he said he had something land on his
    chest with a big thump. Startled, when he opened his eyes he saw something big, gray, and
    furry staring right at him. He said he let out a big scream like a girl as he frantically batted it
    away. He had batted it through the air a few feet, and then it rolled up against a tree. In a
    panicky split second he was able to grab his gun and shoot that monster as it came up against
    the tree. It was a large Pack Rat. This unnerved him so badly he walked all the way back to
    camp while swinging his rifle back and forth in front of him...just in case...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post

Next story. Caddisgirl always wakes up early, even when we are not hunting, just camping. We are at a provincial park and she wakes up to go for a walk. No bear spray or anything. Well, I am sleeping in the car and wake up to "hey! This bear followed me back. what should we do?". I look out and the bear is working over a stump a few yards away. I guess what happened was this bear happened to be cruising for bugs in the same direction caddisgirl wanted to retreat. Result was that she ended up walking backwards for 1km or so with the bear in tow. Anyway I pound back a redbull and the tables turn. We started following the bear around and filming it ... Got some nice footage of it climbing trees and knocking down a yellow jacket nest (I'll post that up later when I'm on a real computer)

Next story. Heading out camping to the same lake the bear "followed" caddisgirl back to camp. Realized after almost an hour of driving I forgot my pack with some essentials. Had to drive an hour back home then another 2.5 hours back to the lake. Not cool after a long day at work. Needless to say it was dark when we arrived and we couldn't get a site by the lake which means setting up the boat and getting it to the water the next morning will be a pain. Well, we wake up the next morning first light. There's a couple who are frantically packing up their gear and then they take off. Perfect! We migrated over to their camp right on the water and had a great day fishing. We set up our tent a little off in the trees to have shade. I woke up around 3am to bears wandering around. I heard them go down towards the water about 20 yards away. I grabbed my bear spray and got out to have a look as there is lots of moonlight. It's the same sow that followed caddisgirl the year prior and she has two cubs. Very cool. I went back to bed not worried at all. This bear has a good track record, but now I realized why the couple left in a hurry. What I didn't realize is that they had paid for the campsite for the whole weekend so we camped free. Thanks bear!!
    Here's the video of the bear from a couple of the stories from my post earlier... the bear stuff starts at 2:36

Is a Horse Fly, considered an animal?!

Had one attacking me relentlessly for a good 20 min, walking back to camp, let my guard down, took a chunk out of my bicep...

It hit the jackpot, blood streaming down my arm...
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

I have had grizzlies come into my camp during the night times over the past 5 years ,,I had a WT deer buck taken off my meat pole 3 years ago from a grizzle bear ..

.................................................. .......................
    Last edited by hunter1947; 06-14-2018 at 04:04 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

There's a backcountry cabin a friend built, an hour from any road, and calling it a road is generous.
    It's got a lower floor, with a stove and counter and a couple benches, and a sleeping loft. Under the cabin is random crap storage, and woodshed.
    The place gets 10+ feet of snow every year, and is used for backcountry skiing by a few folks. So he's up there one fall, getting it stocked with firewood for the winter, and doing the annual clean out. After some drinks and recreational herbage, he crawls upstairs (upladder) and into his fart sack and passes out.

Middle of the night there's a bumping at the door, and it pops open. He sits up, and peers down and sees a black bear pushing through the door.
    The door swings shut behind it.
    The only door.
    So he's now in an 8x12 A frame cabin, with a bear. Fortunately, there's a bb gun upstairs, for shooting mice, and he used it to swing the door open, then went to the far end, where the bear is now curled up on the floor enjoying a relaxing evening in the last vestiges of woodstove heat, and asked the bear to leave.

The cabin door has a latch on the inside too now.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post

Had one attacking me relentlessly for a good 20 min, walking back to camp, let my guard down, took a chunk out of my bicep...

Blame it on the female that needed your blood to procreate.

One of the reasons I disliked about hunting moose in August north of Germansen.

Remember one morning while approaching a swampy area the kamikaze face dives by literally dozens. Had to run for my life!

And lets not forget the hanging animal at camp. They’re capable of biting through the cheesecloth to feed &/or lay their eggs.
    Definitely a numero uno pest!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Evil basturds......

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Those blood thirsty buggers can fly fast! Many times I've seen them pacing my vehicle at close
    to 30 mph just outside a side window. I had to call it quits one sunny day on one of my bicycle
    tours up north of Carmacks because of them. There's no way a person can chase them off even
    with a stick when you're trying to pedal and hold on to the handle bars. Used up a lot of Band-Aids
    for sure! Fortunately my wife was hop scotching our truck along as we went so I was able to seek
    sanctuary. Resumed my trip really early in the morning before those hordes became active.