Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Who's had animal problems in camp?

Re: Who's had animal problems in camp?

There is a lesson somewhere in this one.

Out hunting for the day with a neighbor, his van, his rules.

He wants to leave the keys by a fencepost, hidden in the grass.
    I suggest at least putting a rock over the keys, but no....

Come back at dark and can't find the keys.
    They are simply not by the fencepost anymore

Half hour of looking by flashlight and both of us getting pissed, I notice a small 2" wide rathole ten feet from the post.
    Worth a look....
    See something shiny a foot down the hole.
    Bleepin Rats!

Sleeping on cots in a wall tent, heard something moving around, shined headlamp at buddy and mouse was sitting on his head eating a sunflower seed

My 1st buck I be smart and hang the deer about 15 feet high, wake up in the morning and it's covered with birds!!! My 1st moose the whiskeyjacks were so bold, I had trouble shooting them away, they would come within 3 feet of me but hop away if I swatted at them. I threw a huge piece of hide with fat/meat about 30 feet away and let them have at it

not in camp, but out grouse hunting one morning, stopped for a piss, stood there d*ck in hand as a cougar walks in front of me 40 yards away, just looks at me and carries on. Scared the shit out of me.

Had an ermin climbing down the meat pole rope trying to get at my freshly skinned buck, tried to take him out with a stick several time and he just kept coming back. So fashioned some snares around the meat pole and hanging rope, he never showed back up after that.

Turned around in camp to see a grizz 60 feet away scratching his butt on a tree, we kept firing high powered rifles to scare him off and he still came back 2 more times. The last time he came within 40 feet...almost shot him at that point.

Several times we have had black bears coming into camp looking for trouble, had to kill a couple of them, the rest left when the guns went off. One stole half my moose antlers.

One deer hunt my SIL was skinning a deer and tossing the chunks onto a tarp, a coyote came right up to him and started to feed....I put a quick stop to that.

Up near Pink Mountain one hunt and a pine martin ran off with our loaf of bread, sneaky bugger.

Came back to camp and found a big pile of grizz poop right beside the camp stove, big like 2 big shovel loads, never touched the dirty fry pan or anything, just left his calling card. That night he came back and we could smell him so the next morning we moved camp 30 km away from that spot.

guest Guest

A few incidents on northern remote sheep and elk hunts......
    Not fun. Down right scary.
    Grizz make no issue with trying to claim easy dead critters to them but hard earned for us.
    Be prepared and keep your shat together.

Porkys love chewin on leather riggin. Try to shew them away but they can be persistant bastdards and can spoil your horseback ride out.

Blackies on deer hunts seem to get the idea of get the eff outa here easier than Grizz IMO. So far.

Cougars marking on our hanging poles.

Whiskey jacks pain in the backside but entertaining.

Mice and pack rats make good target practice and trapping contests .