Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's had animal problems in camp?

Re: Who's had animal problems in camp?

The fellow who wrote Canoe Routes of BC recommended using one of those long bicycle cables and locking your canoe at night.

Lots of fun with animals over my 60 years of hunting:
    - came back to camp and my generator was upside down with bear claw marks on it
    - moose quarters hanging high on a meat pole and a bear had climbed the tree beside them and was tearing at the meat. We chased it away but it didn't want to leave. We moved the quarters away from the tree closer to the middle of the pole.
    - another hunt with moose quarters on a meat pole and in the morning the hide was gone and 3 of the 4 quarters had big chunks eaten from them. Being a solo hunt I wasn't able to hang the meat very high off the ground. I tracked the drag marks from the hide but never caught the bear.
    - We had a griz frequenting our camp area so I tied the elk rack with rope to a tree. Came back to camp and the rope had been untied and the rack was gone - thinking a Sasquatch.
    - Pine Martin are not your friend and will gnaw through bags if they smell something inside they might like
    - Caught a porcupine chewing on my truck radiator hose but was able to stop him before he punctured it
    - mice - they love to crawl under your tent floor. Fun to watch them scurry away when you break camp but not fun to wipe off the droppings from the table and chairs as they cruise the camp.
    - Shot a moose at last light. Worked most of the night to get the quarters out. The next afternoon I returned to get the tenderloins and back strap but the carcass was gone. I looked around and found a big pile of debree a few yards from the kill. I assume that a griz had covered it and was probably watching me so I let him/her have the choice cuts of my meat and I left the area. Not a camp story but a story of theft in nature.

Fishing one spring and we had just got in to bed in the camper, looked out and there was a black bear. The only thing left out was a plastic dish pan with a 1/2 liter bottle of Sunlight dish soap. The bear bit the top of the of the dish soap bottle and sucked back the entire contents, must of had quite a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuzz View Post
    Fishing one spring and we had just got in to bed in the camper, looked out and there was a black bear. The only thing left out was a plastic dish pan with a 1/2 liter bottle of Sunlight dish soap. The bear bit the top of the of the dish soap bottle and sucked back the entire contents, must of had quite a dump.
    Bear fart bubbles!!

I had rats steal my wooden spoon of a deserted island in the Great Barrier Reef on route to Papua New Guinea. Almost like a beaver and a paddle!! There was an old shipwreck on the island (100 years ago?). They were lonely and hungry rats. Thank god they are small or they might have taken more than just my spoon!

- Had a bear rummage through our camp when we were gone for the day. I stayed behind the next day hoping it would show up again as I had a tag to fill, no luck on that end.

- was sleeping in a tent when I felt tiny feet on the palm of my hands. Woke up and it was a rat (pack rat?) I panicked and threw it at my buddies. It was funny and they got so mad at me lol!

Had a cougar sneak within 12 feet of me while hunched over the embers of a campfire at 2am, heard a snap, turned around and clicked on my head lamp. Ever shine a flashlight into a cats eyes? WOW

Pack Rats no nice visitor,,,at ya camp

I had my .30-06, and my other buddy had a flashlight..it was maybe 20 yards from us, when as it was growling and appeared poised to charge, my buddy had the light on it but I was the only one who could see it, but I only saw its eyes - I aimed between it's eyes, but free aimed as it was too dark to look through my scope..boom..
    A C.O is probably going to try and write you a ticket for night hunting

I have a friend who turns into a bit of an animal from time to time