Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Who's had animal problems in camp?

Re: Who's had animal problems in camp?

Oh man where do you start with this one

My very first moose hunt had a black bear visit the meat pole in the middle of the night and drag away a quarter, found it up a trail about 200 yrds from camp in the morning. Never saw or heard the bear. Friends came back later in the season and camped in the same spot shot a black bear standing on top on their game pole in the middle of the night. Strongly suspect it was the same bear.

Was driving past another hunters camp one time saw that they had a moose quartered and hung, two of the quarters were tied to the back of their quad, remember thinking man they should really have that pulled up higher. Drove past their camp again the next morning and saw the two quarters on the ground all torn up and the quad standing on its nose under the meat pole.

Had a moose quartered and hung in camp one time, went out for an evening hunt came back at dark and could see that something had been at it. Tracks on the ground were grizzly. Left the diesel truck running all night with the headlights pointed at the meat and the bear still came back.

Was camping with a girlfriend one time, heard rustling outside the tent. As I pulled down the zipper of the tent to see what was out there a black nose pushed its way through the opening, my reflex was to give it a quick bop in end of his nose. He let out a holler and I could here him balling for 500yrds as he ran off. We decided to sleep in the car that night.

And that's not counting all the small critter encounters. Martins chewing on deer, Pack rats in the outhouse or under the hood, Squirrels living in the cabin, voles warming themselves by the fire beside you.

All kinds of fun

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I have had grizzlies come into my camp during the night times over the past 5 years ,,I had a WT deer buck taken off my meat pole 3 years ago from a grizzle bear ..

.................................................. .......................
    were you anywhere near bull river ....we had a big doe stolen off our pole there...I notice the bear is collared.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Those blood thirsty buggers can fly fast! Many times I've seen them pacing my vehicle at close
    to 30 mph just outside a side window. I had to call it quits one sunny day on one of my bicycle
    tours up north of Carmacks because of them. There's no way a person can chase them off even
    with a stick when you're trying to pedal and hold on to the handle bars. Used up a lot of Band-Aids
    for sure! Fortunately my wife was hop scotching our truck along as we went so I was able to seek
    sanctuary. Resumed my trip really early in the morning before those hordes became active.
    Theres a member of that species (hybometra hinei wrighti) that has been clocked at 145 Kmh when chasing a female.

So we're are camped in a 16x12 wall tent south of Vanderhoof c/w wood stove to dry out clothes. On night one with 3 guys damp clothes hanging by the wood stove. In the morning Bill's socks are full of holes. Other 2 guys stuff not touched. Darned pack rat!😬
    Next morning both Bill's socks and shirt are full of holes, again other 2,guys stuff not touched. This scenario continued for the entire hunt.

when we got home Bill discovered that the pack rat(s) had built a huge nest next to the the turbo on his 3500 turbo diesel which included parts of his socks, shirt, and wool pants.

So why were the other guys stuff not touched?
    The Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DHCaptain View Post
    So we're are camped in a 16x12 wall tent south of Vanderhoof c/w wood stove to dry out clothes. On night one with 3 guys damp clothes hanging by the wood stove. In the morning Bill's socks are full of holes. Other 2 guys stuff not touched. Darned pack rat!
    Next morning both Bill's socks and shirt are full of holes, again other 2,guys stuff not touched. This scenario continued for the entire hunt.

when we got home Bill discovered that the pack rat(s) had built a huge nest next to the the turbo on his 3500 turbo diesel which included parts of his socks, shirt, and wool pants.

So why were the other guys stuff not touched?
    maybe it wanted the smells to match...heheheh

maybe the rat could tell the smells were the same and didn't want the nest to have a different smell than the location?

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

porcupines chewing on the plywood door of the cabin, porkies chewing the wiring on our excavators, and trailers, mice running across my chest as I lay sleeping in my sleeping bag. Sleeping in the tent with my wife, and rocks start falling off the bank, sounding like HUGE bear foot prints!!! Elk bugling for 3 hours straight, while im trying to get some sleep, so I can chase them and try to kill them the next day!!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

i have a long list of this...

one of my favorite was travelling and stopping at blue lake resort in the middle of the night...one cabin was not occupied so myself and girlfreind help ourselves....

turns out cabin was empty as a bear lived under it...

had cougar and bobcat issues...

lynk sprayed my wifes car lol...

moose charging through camp breaking everything..
    bears in utility trailer.

my freind shot a grizzly out of the box of a pickup truck while his freinds where in it...lol
    shot bears in camp.

Squirrels.... found 5 babies in a drawer in our trailer a few yrs ago. Nothing a rat trap and peanut butter won't fix

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    porcupines chewing on the plywood door of the cabin, porkies chewing the wiring on our excavators, and trailers, mice running across my chest as I lay sleeping in my sleeping bag. Sleeping in the tent with my wife, and rocks start falling off the bank, sounding like HUGE bear foot prints!!! Elk bugling for 3 hours straight, while im trying to get some sleep, so I can chase them and try to kill them the next day!!
    Goat haven: After getting a goat late in the evening about 8km from main camp, we made the commitment to stay up on the mountain with our Spartan spike camp gear...it was Spartan cuz the 3rd guy we were with, decided to go back down after losing his nerve...like shakes and everything....so we said "cya later".. "were gonna go get one of them sons a bitches"....

Buddy who went back, had been up on the mountain goat trails of shale the day before and just couldn't do it again...unfortunately we forgot to get his portion of the camping supplies, so we had a tent and bags but no food (I had some snacks I always carry and we had goat meat, so we knew we would survive heheheh....

After we descended as far as the light would allow, we got into the trees and found a spot as close to level as we could.....we set up spike camp and layed a tarp out with all the meat to cool it properly overnight. As we were on a finger of a ridge/hill there was really only one was to get to us so our door faced that way just in case....

As we were getting comfy we heard the howls of wolves up where we had left the carcass (partner had done it gutless) as well as two other locations further away howling back.....partner had his golden lab (incredibly trained) but she was scared of wolves and was shaking and scared trying to get between our sleeping bags....she just wouldn't settle while the howling went on....Finally I yelled at the top of my lungs to the wolves to "SHUT THE FACH UP"...as soon as I did the wolf howling stopped mid howl and we never hear another peep out of them.....

buddy then turned to me and said "well at least with wolves being here we wont have to worry about griz" and we chuckled as we drifted off to sleep with the dog cuddled between us