Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Heater in Cargo Trailer

Re: Diesel Heater in Cargo Trailer

look up Planar or Espar diesel heater. Diesel powered furnace. Very safe

DON'T forget the supply of combustion air !!!!! Regardless of which heater you choose, if you put it in an air tight trailer, the flame will consume the oxygen in the enclosure and you wake up dead.

That's my biggest concern. My plan is to add a second roof vent and a window in the door with a screen, and maybe even a second window on the wall. This is why I am asking if others have used these stoves in trailers. They claim to be safe in permanent structures.

Quote Originally Posted by 86k20 View Post
    Ya - but Espars use a ton of battery power to run the fans... Plus rather unreliable at times. We've used them in our crewboats for years.. I'm not familiar with planar...

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    That's my biggest concern. My plan is to add a second roof vent and a window in the door with a screen, and maybe even a second window on the wall. This is why I am asking if others have used these stoves in trailers. They claim to be safe in permanent structures.
    Check out the dickinson products. They're marine, so pricey, but they utilize a double walled chimney, fresh air down the outer and exhaust up the inner so use no air from the inside of the trailer. Same idea for both their diesel and propane heaters...

TJ

I was doing lots of research on putting a Cubic ministove in our cargo conversion. The fellow from Cubic suggested using a Decktite fitting for the chimney penetration. Not solid so it moves a bit during travel, heat resistant and waterproof(with caulk of course) We decided to just run a Big Buddy for the short term. Heats the space great and can’t beat for the price. But it is nice to have something that vents out to remove moisture. We have a CO detector and keep a window cracked while it is running. We will never run it while sleeping either.
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."

Careful with those buddy heaters, used a air monitor from work to test my setup in my camper. One we used for confined space situations for max exposure levels. Little buddy was tied into onboard propane tanks, what I read seemed to be the ideal situation and used by several people, keep window cracked and should be good to go. Opened side window about 1-2 inches and top vent about 1in. Put monitor on my bed in a plate and started heater and ran for 10 minutes without and issue. Then Oxygen levels dropped slightly and CO levels rose enough to set alarm off. Canadian CO tire monitor did start to go off after about 25 minutes. Had to open window 6inches and roof vent fully open to maintain a non-alarm level for calibrated monitor. Decided you would freeze you butt off before you got warm or dry with that heater and staying in the air flow path is a must. For short term and in "well ventilated" areas would work ok and have used in this situation quite a few times also, but please keep in mind these things are burning a hydro carbon and CO emissions are present. Little test opened my eyes for sure. Bad dirty heater do not know, Be careful with those heaters!!

For chimney application. Go to a RV. Manufacturer and have them install a window door that opens and closes. Depending on your pipe the door can be a 15 inch square. Get a piece of stainless just under 15 by 15 that will fit inside the door. If you have 6 inch pipe cut a hole in the stainless 7 inches in diameter. By two pipe collars one on the inside and one on the outside and screw them to the stainless plate. Now all you have to do is pull the pipe and close the door while traveling. Install goes on the side of your trailer. Leaving that one inch of space will not allow heat from the pipe to affect your trailer siding or insulation.

Best off just put a good small wood stove in there, have an adjustable vent through the sidewall when operating ( one low and one high), you can side wall vent it as well
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by 86k20 View Post
    I'll second it, these are great little heaters, but just have to run a dual 6V setup
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...