Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Heater in Cargo Trailer

Diesel Heater in Cargo Trailer

I have a a 14 ft Haulmark Cargo v Nose. I am looking at the diesel heaters from Deekin. I want to install a stovepipe port that I can close when the stove is out I am thinking of installing the port on one of the front walls.
    I also want to take the stove in and out and use it in my wall tent as well.
    This is not a full conversion just want to use the heater and toss a couple of cots in when needed.
    Looking for ideas from others that have done this before.
    Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks
    Chuck

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Diesel Heater in Cargo Trailer

I think a CO2 monitor would be a good idea as well.

For sure, It's my understanding that they are safe in buildings etc.

I think you would be good. I love my deisel stove in my tent. You may want to add some more vents. Those stoves really crank out the heat
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Thats what I hear, I am buying the 12,000 btu trekker.

Kerosene doesn't smell as much as diesel, Might want to try that
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!

I have a Dickinson lofoten diesel heater in a 7 x 14 enclosed. I built folding bunks for space. Works really well and can cook off. Combination works well. Can dry clothes out and produces decent heat. Runs 24 hrs/day and burns 2-3 ltrs a day "roughly". Used for first time last year in various weather and way more comfortable than my bigfoot camper. It was pricey but well worth it so far. Do not know how to post pics on here but send me your e-mail and can show what I did. Another bonus is can drive quad into and put critters in there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer001 View Post
    I have a Dickinson lofoten diesel heater in a 7 x 14 enclosed. I built folding bunks for space. Works really well and can cook off. Combination works well. Can dry clothes out and produces decent heat. Runs 24 hrs/day and burns 2-3 ltrs a day "roughly". Used for first time last year in various weather and way more comfortable than my bigfoot camper. It was pricey but well worth it so far. Do not know how to post pics on here but send me your e-mail and can show what I did. Another bonus is can drive quad into and put critters in there also.
    Hey Farmer. I was planning on doing the same, only with the dickinson propane version since I'd have a propane cooktop and a hookup for a BBQ outside too.I have not yet purchased my trailer but want to be sure there will be no major hiccups before I do... Questions for you that may apply to the OP as well:

1- how did you put the chimney/exhaust out through the roof of the trailer? If it's an insulated trailer with an aluminum sheet on the top, insulation in the middle and a panel on the inside, how would it work without "squishing" the two roof panels together? I'm thinking just a spacer of sorts?
    2- would the chimney heat up enough to cause a concern for overheating the insulation?
    3- Do you get blowback of any sort while driving the trailer? I've heard of some people getting water back down into the stove and destroying it. Would an aluminum cap of sorts over top the chimney cap give extra protection or is that overkill?
    4- how do you find the lofoten for heat? just good enough to take the chill off, or hot enough to dry clothes?

Thanks!
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    I have a a 14 ft Haulmark Cargo v Nose. I am looking at the diesel heaters from Deekin. I want to install a stovepipe port that I can close when the stove is out I am thinking of installing the port on one of the front walls.
    I also want to take the stove in and out and use it in my wall tent as well.
    This is not a full conversion just want to use the heater and toss a couple of cots in when needed.
    Looking for ideas from others that have done this before.
    Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks
    Chuck
    Hey Chuck. What do you mean a "port" for a chimney? I was asking about a door on the front Vee of a trailer I'm about to order, but they said don't do it because of water leakage issues while driving.. Any thoughts or concern on that?

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer001 View Post
    Whoops - missed your comment on drying off clothes...