Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What should I buy next?

Re: What should I buy next?

Top quality boots to take you away from the roads. Buy once and cry once as they say... The rest on gas to get u there. I like your approach and good things will come. The other guys are right on a good pack, especially for moose elk or long backpack trips. That said I got by with my MEC internal frame pack for 15 years and still run an internal frame pack for alpine mulies goat and sheep (arcteryx bora).

Giver with what you have and have fun!

TJ

I would say you have everything. I agree with getting a good pair of binos. [ I don't think you need a rangefinder unless maybe sheep hunting? ] I've never used one in my 20+ years at this hunting thing. and I'd like to think I've done ok so far. Good gear is wise but I don't think you need much of it. my 30+ year old wool pants keep me warm and dry [ amazing, I know and they aren't even camo ] Same goes for my stanfield and red chequered coat.

Nice list .... maybe I missed it ... but a good “headlamp”

Top quality boots to take you away from the roads. Buy once and cry once as they say... The rest on gas to get u there. I like your approach and good things will come. The other guys are right on a good pack, especially for moose elk or long backpack trips. That said I got by with my MEC internal frame pack for 15 years and still run an internal frame pack for alpine mulies goat and sheep (arcteryx bora).

Giver with what you have and have fun!

TJ

I definitely agree about good boots. I didn't put it on the list, but I have a really nice pair of Zamberlan boots that fit me really well, so I'm planning to keep those until they wear out. Which might not be too long, hunting off trail in the late fall is a lot harder on boots than hiking on trails in the summer. New boots might be coming up in a year or two

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    This I can agree with. A good pack or pack board is important for recovery any distance from the road

Outside of that you have a weapon, bino’s, and a knife your good to go. I do like to pack calls but that is a species time of year thing. Tree stands and blinds for some species as well

You seem to have your species of interest build your gear and knowledge around that
    A pack more designed for hunting would be nice. Mine has served me well, but it is blue, and is starting to show it's age.

That said, where would one buy a good hunting focused pack? I would definitely want to try it on for fit before buying one.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Buck 105 fixedblade knife, good set of Scarpa boots, a pack frame of some sort, and the rest on time in the woods. Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

If you are a mountain hunter your feet get you there and back ( boots )and your eyes ( bino's) find the game.
    In spite of some folks opinions get some Swarovski or Leica 10 x42 bino's and the best boots you can find that fit!Don't compromise ,once you get them you will wonder how the hell you got by before you had them.

Dont hunt moose without a pack frame. You can but the bare frame and keep it in the truck, use your mec for the first load out then switch over.
    If I have $1000 to spend on hunting it always will go towards a trip, it means i dont have the greatest gear but it gets well used!

I know you would be able to try a pack on, the buy and sell page on this site is a great resource for gear.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I would get a range finder, or a better pack next..or both. Mystery ranch seems to be the best and most affordable for us in Canada right now.