I'm a newish hunter, I have been at it 5 years, so far have taken 2 deer(one myself, and one with a friend), lots of grouse, and spent lots of time sitting in the woods wondering if I'm anywhere near where I should be. I have found lots of good information online, and in the archives of this site, about what you need to get going, but not much for what to do next. I have friends who hunt, but we all basically started at the same time, so not so much in the way of experience, so we're all kind of aimlessly figuring out what to do next, so that is the question I'm putting up here to see if I can get any insight. I have hunted 2-16, 2-11, 3-32, 3-33, and 5-03 for deer. I plan to narrow it down a bit and focus on hunting 3-32 for mule deer for awhile and see if I can find some success. I like to hike and hunt away from the road wherever practical, so I lean towards gear that is lightweight.

I also want to hunt Moose in the future, and dream of taking an Elk, and a Sheep one day.

My question is, what should be my priority to save up and spend my money on this year, budgeting around $1000? Or, just spend it on gas and ammunition to go scouting, and go to the range?

What I have:
Savage Mk2 22
80's era Ruger m77 in 270 win with a Leupold VX2 3-9 x 42
Vortex Diamondback 10x42 binoculars
Old Bushnell 18-36x50 spotting scope
20 year old 65 L MEC backpack
MEC Camper 2 Person tent
-12 Western Mountaineering sleeping bag
Thermarest neo-air venture
MSR Dragonfly stove
Cabelas Space Rain jacket
Black gore-tex rain pants - not sure what brand
10x12 Sil-tarp
Crappy tire collapsible saw with wood and bone blades
Cheap boning knife
Leatherman Skeletool

I have been camping and backpacking for years, so I feel I have the basics covered, and I am able to get out into the woods, but I definitely have room to make things better.

What I'm considering getting next:
Rangefinder
Better spotting scope (my Bushnell has a very narrow field of view)
Radio for my truck for safety and communication on logging roads
Better rain gear- Unfortunately my Arcteryx jacket is a nicely visible light blue, so not the best for hunting

I'm definitely getting a better field dressing knife, I just haven't decided what kind yet